Choosing the perfect smaller Fifth Wheel

ssoard

Help please! I've been reading over this forum for awhile now, and you all seem so nice and friendly that I'm hoping that you can help me out. It seems that I might be in the minority, but I'd really like to purchase a new, smaller (less than 30 feet) fifth wheel. I don't hear/read much about the smaller sized models. I am focused mainly on a functional floorplan, but I would also like a very well built model that is well insulated adn nicely equiped. I am hoping to spend around $30k. We'll use it mostly on weekend trips to the lake and at least 1 or 2 week-long trips. But it won't be for FT use. Bunks aren't neccessary, but I'd like the ability to sleep 6 (dinette booth and sofa bed). Some of the floor plans I've looked at and not minded include the Keystone Cougar 245 RKS and Laredo 25RK (only a 2007 model?). I'd really like a model that has 2-3 slides (with one inthe bedroom), a full queen size bed (60x80), and with an entry door into kitchen (or hard surface so that we don't track dirt all over). Some friends of ours have the Forest River Flagstaff 8526RLS. I love the openness in the living area (with 2 slides on opposite sides) and if it had the bedroom slide I'd take it. But, after the reviews on here about Forest River, though, I think they are very fortunate to not have major problems. So I'm nervous about that company.

Can any of you old pros or dealers recommend any manufacturers or models that I should consider? Or stear me clear of known problems?

BTW- we will be purchasing the truck to haul it with, so we aren't restricted by weight too much. But we certainly don't want to be dragging a lead weight around.

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide!!!!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Choosing the perfect smaller Fifth Wheel

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Take a serious look at SunnyBrook. Look at Brookside by them. I think you will like what you see.

C Nash

I would also suggest the Sunnybrook and give the Montana a look even though there have been some negetive reviews on the newer Montanas. Welcome to the forum

ssoard

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately both the Brookside and Montana start out at +32 feet. We are really trying to stay under 30 feet length. My husband want to be able to pull his boat behind the 5th wheel.

I've seen the comments on Forest River, so I'll probably avoid them just to be safe. But are Keystone's generally reviewed well? Or at least easy to work with on warranties?

Thanks again for all your help!

Grandview Trailer Sa

BE CAREFULL!!! Two things:

First: A frame on a 5th wheel is NOT designed to tow another trailer. I know that a lot do it, but NOT designed to handle the stresses. When any manufacture hears about a rear hitch or double tow, they will void your frame warranty.

Second: It is NOT legal in all states to double tow. Don't know where you are, but check your local laws.

I used to sell Keystone, but good reviews are dropping. I think under General Rving, you will find an unhappy customer right now.

ssoard

We camp in KS and MO mostly (live in KC area), and it is legal here to double tow. My husband used to drive an 18-wheeler for a living, so I'm not too worried about the ability to drive the double tow. But that is a good point about the frame. That is one of the factors I'm considering while evaulating the different manufacturers of these campers. I want to make sure we get one that is well constructed. Primarily we'll be just pulling the camper or the boat - the only time he'd tow both is when he just wants a quick fishing weekend here locally.

But quite honsetly, I'm more focused on getting a good quality camper that is very functional for us. If we end up not being able to pull the boat behind it, we'll figure somethign else out. (By we, I of course mean he ;) I don't mind the fishing, but when I camp I'm more focused on spending time with the people we go camping with.)

I will check out the General RVing thread. Bummer about Keystone dropping quality. Do you happen to know if anyone else makes a floorplan similar to the Keystone Cougar 245RKS? Maybe that would also have the bedroom slide? I think that would be my ideal floorplan. But I find that the more I look at these different floorplans the more different things I think I want.

C Nash

You might also check into the Artic Fox and Nash line of rvs. I agree with GTS on the frame strength for hauling a boat. What kind of boat and how much does it weigh? I would still look at the Cougar and even look at the FR but I would really look close. If hubby is\was a semi driver he had great brakes on them. RVS don't stop as well especially with a tow behind the rv. I still would ck the Sunny Brook if they offer one in this size.

Bart19

RE: Choosing the perfect smaller Fifth Wheel

Sooard...I know what you are looking for since that is close to what we are looking for. We have found the Fleetwood Prowler in 27 and 31 foot models. I want the smaller and the wife wants the bigger one. The 27 footer weighs about 6500 lbs, has one slideout, dinette, couch and a nice master bedroom with bath. It is selling for around $23-25, depending on the options that are on it. The 31 footer weighs around 7100 lbs, has one slideout, couch, dinette, little bigger kitchen and the same master bathroom and bath. They both will sleep 6 but 4 of them better be kids or midgets.

We have looked at dozens of models and haven't found any with "two" slideouts under 30 feet. We have shopped at probably a dozen dealers and looked at most major manufactors websites and found that the Fleetwood Prowler is the best built as far as we can see. I bought the RV Comparison Guide and found that they were highly ranked in their survey also. You should look up there website to see all their models. Fleetwood also makes fifth wheels in the Terry and Wilderness lines. Their is a Fleetwood dealer here in St. Joseph, MO...just up the road from you folks. Their website is: billscampers.com and talk to Linda, the owner...she is great to work with.

Happy Shopping

Bart

ssoard

Thanks, Bart - and everyone. I really appreciate all the advice and help. Sunnybrooks and nash lines are all over 30 feet. I really did hope to get one under 30 feet with all the bells and whistles I wanted, but I guess I may be hoping for too much! :blush: I will look at the fleetwoods again, though. And maybe the 2009 rv shows will have something new. I guess its worth hoping anyway. If anyone hears of a new floorplan in under 30 feet, I'd appreciate you letting me know! :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

You need to realize what towing 2 more feet down the road means, not much...Look at SunnyBrook again....