Clunk at stop light

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by Frankemm, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Frankemm

Frankemm New Member

I have a 2002 Dmax/Alli occasionally when waiting for a traffic signal to change I experience a clunk when the throttle is applied upon light acceleration.This usually happens after sitting for a couple of minutes with tranny in drive and foot on the brake,when brake is released and throttle is applied the clunking noise is sometimes heard.Have checked the U joints and tranny mounts all seem ok, any idea whats happening here.

2. zip

zip New Member

Clunk at stop light

Two of the common explanations usually given for the clunk are:
    1. It is a normal sound of the Allison 1000 tranny. Stronger gears.etc. I noticed the clunk a few times when new, but can't recall any noises in the past yr.
    2. Is the drive shaft a single shaft or double shaft? The noise is more common on the double shafts because of the trunnion connecting them. and changing over to a single shaft has eliminated the clunk for many DMax owners. Check with your dealer to see if there has been a fix covered by a TSB (tech service bulletin).
    Two BIG websites for a search - www.thedieselplace.com and www.thedieselpage.com for LOTS of DuraMax info.
    Hope I helped a lil bit.

3. Frankemm

Frankemm New Member

Clunk at stop light

Thanks for the reply Zip,the truck does have the 2 piece drive shaft and I kind of suspect that might be the problem.Will check out the TSB and recall notices through the dealer and see what can be done.