Coach batteries

beachboy

Just bought a 98 Beaver and the coach batteries are done. It has 4 6 volt batteries. How necessary is it to have 4 batteries? What difference would I see if I only put in two?

ironart

Re: Coach batteries

Hi Beachboy and Welcome.....

Chances are, if you have 4... 6 volt batteries... You probably have an inverter that converts your 12V battery power to 115VAC to run your TV or other appliances.....

That will still work if you reduce the number of batteries to 2........ but just not last as long.....1/2 the batteries means 1/2 the capacity or 1/2 the time it will work before needing to be recharged.....

C Nash

think I would stay with the four but guess a lot will depend on type camping and what you will be trying to operate if you have a inverter which you probably do. If you replace replace all four. Do not mix old and new. JMO

G

I approve this message ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I would replace all 4 ,, as the others have stated ,, u prolly got an inverter ,, and it's not the price of the batts that counts ,, it's the when needed option that counts ,, i would go all 4 ,, but JMO :laugh: ;) :approve:

beachboy

Thanks for your advice. I do have an inverter and have started pricing out 6v batteries. Nt an inexpensive option, but I will replace all 4 at once. Won't need them this fall but plan to head to Florida in February and they will be needed then. My electric heater will keep the chill off when I start out from the great white north.

ironart

Beachboy......If money is an issue..??? You can always replace the 6ers with 12V batteries.....

4 12 volt batteries would be about 1/2 the cost of the 6 volt batteries......They are $58.00 ea. .......at my local Wall Mart....
You will have to change the hook up wiring,......but they will work just fine......Just not quite as much capacity.... :) :) :)

beachboy

RE: Coach batteries

Just got 4 new 6v batteries (OUCH) and want to make sure the hookup is right before connecting them. made a sketch of the hookups and could only find one sketch on the net and the configuration didn't match what I have. Could someone draw a simple sketch to show the correct hookup? I certainly don't want to damage them.

ironart

I take it you didn't make a sketch of the original hook up.. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:

4..6 volt batteries are connected in a series/parallel configuration.. Place them in the battery box...Start with the positive of the first battery..connect that to the positive from your coach...connect the negative post of the first battery to the positive post of the second battery...Connect the negative post of the second battery to the negative post of the 3rd battery.....connect the positive post of the 3rd battery to the negative post of the 4th battery and connect the positive post of the 4th battery to the positive post of the first battery...Finally, connect the chassis ground to the negative terminal of the number 2 or 3 battery....

Read carefully and take your time