Cold windows

BigDen

I have a lot of cold coming from all of the windows in my fifth-wheel. I have given thought to placing extruded polystyrene (blue board) over them for insulation. This would help but then this method would cut off the light coming from them and make us feel like we are in a cave. Does anyone have any other ideas?

rjf7g

Re: Cold windows

I got some of the silver bubble wrap-like insulation, cut it to size, and put Velcro sticky back tape on it. It's real easy to pull off and put on depending upon my desire for light or warmth.

LEN

There is a material made to put on the inside that reminds me of saranwrap. you use a tape all the way around the window frame or or the rv inside stick the saranwrap to it then use a hair dryer to make it tight. Make a storm window. places like home depot Lowes. Comes in a kit and is fairly cheap.

LEN

Blueeyes

If the outside frame around your windows is metal, this worked on my rv. I bought a roll of magnetic, self-glued tape (avaliable at most hardware stores) and had a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of my windows. I glued the magnetic strip to the plexiglass and set it against my window frame. The strip held the plexiglass in place and this provided a temporary storm window that helped at lot about the cold.

DL Rupper

I buy rolls of reflective (silver bubblewrap) 1/4 inch insulation and cut it to window size and push it into the window frames on the inside when it gets real cold in the winter or real hot in the summer. Works great without taping or gluing and can be removed easily.

idahofulltimer

I don't know about you, but we get a lot of moisture / condensation on the windows, especially overnight. Our windows have small "drain" holes in the bottom of the frames for water to run down and out. There are actually icecicles on the outside of the trailer below the windows. I know moisture in an RV can cause major problems (mold, rott, etc.) so I oppted not to cover or seal the windows as I would rather deal with the cold air rather than physical damage.