Coloring your campfire

rjf7g

When I was in Wal-Mart this evening, I walked passed a box of Borox and decided to pick it and a bag of Epsom Salts up. We'll be having yellowish/light green (Borox) and white (Epsom Salts) campfires this summer. I save toilet paper rolls, plug one end with news paper and put a few table spoons of either one of these in the middle and plug the other end with newspaper. When the kids are smores'd out and no more cooking will be done on the fire, I sneak one of these in with a log and listen for the kids to ooh and ahh. Some folks soak pine cones in a mixture and just toss them on as well. You can make a ton of different colors by adding different chemicals.

See http://www.campfiredude.com/campfire-magic.shtml, http://www.whistler-outdoors.com/campfire-magic.html, http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/a/aa052703a.htm, and http://www.tentandtrek.com/2006/09/...colors-make-colored-flames-for-your-campfire/ for more colors and ideas. Remember, use small quantities and don't cook over the fire after tossing the chemicals in to it.

Bounder Boy

Re: Coloring your campfire

Hmmmmmm have to give that a try this camping season. Thanks for the info.

We always just used the old plastic chunk of hose in a piece of copper pipe. When the fire is done and pipe is cooled, just reload it with another chunk of junk hose and you're set for another fire. Every color in the rainbow comes out.

TexasClodhopper

Perhaps you should stay upwind of the smoke until you know what chemicals have been produced and are being carried by the heat and smoke.

Bounder Boy

And all along I just thought it was starring at the campfire that put me in a trance and made me feel funnier....... Oh My !!!!!

SnowbirdInFlight

As much as I hate to agree with TexasClodhopper :eek: ;) :laugh: I have to totally agree. Especially the Boric Acid. If you read the label about the warnings, it is pretty dangerous stuff. If you get it on your skin for instance, you have to flush it with water for fifteen minutes! It is used to kill insects like roaches and termites. So, I'd be careful breathing that stuff in my lungs. Read more about it here: http://www.naturemoms.com/dangers-of-borax.html

TexasClodhopper

Pulleezz, your comment is not in agreement with me.

I simply suggested caution in applying external products to a fire. There is no way to know who might be sensitive to the results. In a campground setting, the smoke from a fire can travel a ways and most campers would not expect anything but wood burning.

When doing things like this in public, please consider that there are folks around you with conditions such as asthma and emphysema. The expected smoke in a campground is bad enough, but add other byproducts and it could really ruin someone's day. (Affected folks will rarely complain. They'll just disappear into their RV to get relief.)

QUOTE: As much as I hate to agree with TexasClodhopper :eek: I have to totally agree.

SnowbirdInFlight

TCH, I really think you just like to argue. How was I NOT in agreement.
thcrazy.gif
You said be careful, I said be careful. I think someone just p!$$e$ in your Wheaties everyday and makes you grumpy. But, whatever, fine, we don't agree, as per usual. So sorrrrrry I said we did agree because CLEARLY we don't. I like to be nice. (Guess you didn't see I also had a winky face and a smiley face, as in I was trying to be funny.) Obviously it was lost on you. Won't happen again I can assure you. Big guy like you shouldn't really feel the need to hit a woman.
thcomeon.gif

As a matter of fact, I think I'll just make this my last post ever. Doesn't seem to matter what I say, I get a beating for it.

akjimny

Throw a string of Black Cats in - that will liven up the party. :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil: And sometimes the language gets pretty colorful! ! :laugh: :laugh:

Ryan41

akjimny - 3/22/2011 3:44 PM

Throw a string of Black Cats in - that will liven up the party. :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil: And sometimes the language gets pretty colorful! ! :laugh: :laugh:

Have a few cameras placed around just before and then send it to youtube :)

try2findus

Years ago, you could buy colored logs at the store and they were amazing. Now, all we can find are some packets of "something" that you pour on and it is suppose to add color. They don't work as well as the old colored logs but it is better than nothing. The packets are available at Walmart and other retail outlets.

I had saved a piece of copper for months waiting for a camping trip and then Randy told me I could not burn it...Well, as usual, he is right. I Wouldn't want to contaminate the air or potentially harm us or others.

Be happy folks~SPRING IS HERE!!!! :cool:

C Nash

Want a good blue fame? Throw on a blackjack log. Like crackling and poping try poplar. Good smell use cedar. All made by nature. Juat an old country boys way :laugh: