converter always running

lasoyatang

Hi
I have a question on my tt. It's a 2001 sportsmen with two batteries and two 15lb tanks . My question is my converter is always running. I can hear it humming all the time, is that normal? It doesn't get hot, just warm. One battery is one year old the other battery is seven years old. I disconnected the seven year old battery to see if the humming went away but it didn't. Thank you. Happy mother's day!!!!!!!

rvingal

RE: converter always running

Greetings Lasoyatang,

Yes it is normal for the converter to have a humming sound. This is nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.

miket

Newer solid state converters don't hum and do a better job of maintaining batteries.

lasoyatang

thanks for replying i was going to buy a new battery thinking battery was not charging and thats why it would not stop humming

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: converter always running

Have your batteries checked. I suspect one is shorted. Also, my Interstate salesman tells me that batteries should be matched. Not a new one with an older one as you have it. When you have 2 batteries, just like a chain, your power is as strong as your weakest battery.

lasoyatang

Hi Kenneth
I tought that would be the case. Is there any way to get reid of one battey I never do any dry camping I do'nt think i will ever need it. and it would save on same wieght . I plan on buying one this weekend if i'm not able to thanks for your help .

lasoyatang

What do i do with the wires ? do i just let them sit there ? will the convertor try to charge a battery that is not there and burn out ? thanks for all the help

Grandview Trailer Sa

Your trailer just has 2 orginial wires. The 2 extra wires that wired in the second battery can be taken off. No, the converter does not know how many batteries you have.