Converter Questions

Kenworth

My '96 Sportsman has a Magnetek 6345 convertor in it. It seems as if it is awful hot, and I have never heard the fan run. When I turn on an interior light, the rest dim...Is my inverter going south? Should I update it to something bigger? I have 2 group 27 batteries that are brand new. Thanks

TexasClodhopper

More info, please.

Put a volt meter on the battery. Be particularly aware of the colors of the wires connected to the battery. Is the positive wire really connected to the post with the "+" on the battery body? Really?

Tell us the volt meter reading with no lights on. Then with a light on. Then with all lights on except one. Then the reading when you add the last light.

IMPORTANT! What is the volt meter reading on the battery when you disconnect the AC power to the RV? (Unplug the RV from the wall.) Does a positive reading coincide with the "+" on the battery body?

Have you recently rewired anything? Maybe the batteries?

Kenworth

i guess what I was getting at is should I go with a bigger one, with more amps, or am I not understanding it. No I haven't rewired anything, I just bought it, but I do know the batteries are wired right, as I just put 2 new ones in

Kenworth

Thank you....so you think I should replace it with the same thing, or does someone else make a better one, and should I go with a 65 amp? Thanks

Triple E

Kenworth;74079 said:
Thank you....so you think I should replace it with the same thing, or does someone else make a better one, and should I go with a 65 amp? Thanks

I do not know one converter from another one. But I do know that when I worked in Power Plants and for the Pulp and Paper industries the Magnetek were the most reliable piece on instrumentation in the plant. Let me tell you, we had them installed in some of the most undesirable places on site. :indecisiveness:

akjimny

I would replace it with the same size or bigger. Nothing smaller. This would also be a good time to change from your old analog converter to a three stage converter. :):)

Kenworth

...So I googled 3 stage converter, and bestconverter.com came up...anyone ever deal with them? Is the "upgrade", worth it?...Thanks