Cummins Onan RV QD 5000 will not stay on... HELP!!

shimamtl

I have a in the back of a van that powers my mobile business. About 6 weeks ago there was a flood in the garage I keep it in. My van and the generator started up fine after the flood however the generator only stayed on for an hour. So we brought it to our regular cummins service repair shop. They had no idea. We brought it to another shop they fixed it however it only worked on the load bank not in the van. When they inserted the generator back in the space it lives they did not replace the seals that prevent the hot air from flowing back into the generator (Which will probably lead to a whole set of overheating issues however I currently have bigger fish to fry). We brought it to a third guy, he realized that the battery that starts the generator had died so he replaced that. Ok so then the generator worked fine for about 7 hours then it conked out. When I started it right after it turned off it only stayed on for an hour at a time. When I let it sit overnight and started it up in the same parking lot it stayed on again for 7ish hours then conked out and it only stayed on for around 8 minutes every time I tried to restart it. We thought it could be water in the tank but we checked and that was not it. We realized that when it was only staying on for 8 minutes or so the fuel stopped actually running through the generator so we replaced the fuel pump. Everything seemed great. That was this morning. We decided to let the generator run while we grabbed some breakfast. About an hour later we came back and it had shut off. We decided to fill up the fuel tank and cross our fingers. That didn’t work. We decided to it leave alone for 30 minutes that didn’t work. Eventually it restarted again and lasted about an hour tomorrow we start the saga again. We live in NYC no one seems to know anything about RV generators any ideas would be appreciated. We have an Onan Cummins RV QD 5000 in the back of a Sprinter Van.

C Nash

Re: Cummins Onan RV QD 5000 will not stay on... HELP!!

Don't this generator have codes that will set?

shimamtl

The codes tend to change but we do get code 14. It says check the fuel and the loads. We have done both.

C Nash

Have you checked to see if the governer system is working as it should?