Dash A/C

levoyb

Hey guys, My dash a/c is blowing hot. I had this problem last year and thought I was low on freon. However the dealer said the control cables had somehow gotten kinked and He manually bent them back. My question is how to get to the cables? Do you go up under the dash? Take the dash out or would you advise going back to the dealer. I can normally be ok by running the roof air, but on hot days the dash air would be nice.Thanks in advance for any help.

*scooter*

Re: Dash A/C

I would take a guess and say that the kink is going to be inside the dash. I would (if possible) ask the mechanic/dealer how they addressed the problem, and let them know it happened again. I don't think it should happen at all, but that's me. There will be someone who will have a much better and more qualified answer so just hang in there...Good luck and keep us posted.

levoyb

Thanks, I may be able to have a friend, who is also a mechanic look at it. I don't really want to take it back to the dealership at this time. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks

hamdave

RE: Dash A/C

levoyb - 4/19/2009 2:59 PM Hey guys, My dash a/c is blowing hot. I had this problem last year and thought I was low on freon. However the dealer said the control cables had somehow gotten kinked and He manually bent them back. My question is how to get to the cables? Do you go up under the dash? Take the dash out or would you advise going back to the dealer. I can normally be ok by running the roof air, but on hot days the dash air would be nice.Thanks in advance for any help.

I had this problem also. The linkage cable to the control arm was about 3 in of just cable to the locking portion of the outside container cable(or whatever its called). This caused a 'kink' so the control could not move the cable to close the heater valve that stops the flow of coolant into the heater core. With hot water going through the heater core, any a/c effort is effectivly nullified and you don't get much cool air into the vehicle. I first straightened out the kink, then cut a 1 1/2 in piece of sleeve plastic and placed it around the cable. Then use 'gorilla-duct-tape'(not the grey stuff), and just wrapped about three four turns around the plastic sleeve to stiffen it up. Works just fine, no more problem.

I removed the screws on the dash control panel and just slid it forward to gain access. Not really hard to do.

cheers

levoyb

RE: Dash A/C

Dave, I think you may have made my day. That sounds like even I could attempt that. Many, many thanks.

levoyb

Kirk, It is a 1991 Pace Arrow and is on a Ford chassis. I haven't had time to get back into the dash yet, but hopefully will get it fixed in a couple of weeks.