Dash Controls and Air Tank Fill

ARCHER

Ok folks, I need some guidance. My ole 89 Winn Chieftain (that I am trying to sell) has a couple issues that I would really like to fix myself before I sell her.
The heat/ac/vent/defroster, etc., buttons have stopped working. /the fan works fine and air only comes out of the defroster vents. I have checked hoses around the engine and behind the control mechanizism...no luck. Is there a vac type unit that the hoses go too? Any guidance would help
The other issue is when I use to drive her, the air tank would fill automatically in the front under the hood (used it to pump up tires, air bags, etc.) but now when I start the engine it does not fill at all. I have checked fuses but am stumped.
This two issues are really bugging me and I'd like to fix them myself if I can get some guidance/instructions on how to find what the problem is. I don't want to spend a lot of $$$$ if possible. Other things work just fine on the dash buttons/switches and the batteries are fully charged both engine and house bats.
HELP :dead:

C Nash

Re: Dash Controls and Air Tank Fill

Archer, there should be a vacuum cannister somewhere that helps keep a constant vacuum at the control. If I remember you have the chev chasis but both ford and chevy use a cannister. Find the cannister and see if you have vac to it. Ford uses one about the size of a medium tomato can. Chevy uses one about the size of a softball. Should be around the engine compartment. Did the air tank use a belt driven or electric pump for air?

Kirk

It definately has a vaccum operated heater control and they tend to fail into the defrost position. While it could be a failed control mechanism, most likely there is a loss of vaccum or a major leak. It could be a hose or it might be the cannister, but hoses are most likely. The hose isn't expensive but it would take some time and effort to replace all of them.

ARCHER

`Thanks Chelse and Kirk
The air tank uses a pump I'm pretty sure since it does not have any kind of belt near it. It also ran the air horn that won't work without air (ha ha) from the tank. How can you tell if the cannister haa a vaccum? I'll look for the cannister with hoses that are running to the controls behind the dash and see what I can find.

C Nash

It will have a cannister Archer but, I don't know where it is located on yours. It will like Kirk said most likely be a hose and the only reason I mentioned the cannister is because you should be able to locate it and see if it has vac to it. The supply hose should come from the rear of the intake manifold or carb base.

ARCHER

Chelse, I saw a couple softball looking cannisters up in the front area under hood. One did have a really small hose loose, but I had fixed it. I can't imagine that it was the problem. HOW do I test the cannister(s)???????
How do I test the pump for the air tank? Disconnect and use voltmeter to see if it is getting power???
I'm not the smartest cookie on the baking sheet but I sure do try hard not to burn...... :approve: ;)

C Nash

Archer, there should be two hose going to the cannister. Just take the hose coming from the engine and unplug and with the engine running plsce your finger over the end and see if there is suction. You can get vacuum guages to test but not necessary to find vacuum. The cannister is probably good. Just a place to start. If you have vac supplied at the cannister start tracing toward the control. If not go back to the supply port which will be on the intake manifold.

ARCHER

Thanks Chelse, I think I actually have two of those cannisters your talking about. They are kind of side by side under the front hood. I'll try both of them and see what happens. On the air tank, guess I'll try the tester to the leads while engine is running to see if power is going to the small pump on the top of the tank. Thanks again for the help. ;) :)