dash heat 2001 dutchstar

dastout

I have very little dash heat,started 2 years ago, would drive for 30 minutes then all of a sudden would get great heat. The heat would then work great for the rest of the week, taking only a few minutes to get really hot air. Park the coach for a few months then no dash heat for 30 to 45 minutes. Then again it works normal for the entire trip.
This spring on a trip to florida it would not work, period. We get only a small amount about a 10 degree delta.
I figured the electric water valve was bad so I bought a new one @ $215.00, installed it and it made no difference. Yes the valve opens fully, so did the old one after I finally got smart and checked it,so I bought the new one for nothing. Hard to believe the heater core would plug as the opening throgh the water valve is small & clean as a whistle.

Anybody know what the round black ball about the size of a tennis ball, is? It is installed just ahead of the water valve.
Somebody told me it is for water hammer which makes no sense to me. What is inside that black ball? It get really hot, and the outlet from the water valve is fairly hot. The return line fron the heater core is barly warm so I am not getting enough flow.

Thanks for any ideas.
:) :laugh:

G

RE: dash heat 2001 dutchstar

What i would do if i were u ,, and i hope u don;t have the hydro hot system on u'r rv ,, but what i would do is take that "ball " off ,, and piece in a pipe and see what kinda heat u get after that to the main heater core ,, if u don't have the hydro hot system ,, then u don;t need the little "ball" ,, i have seen where they put it on so that it is just there ,, incase ,, the customer adds the Hydro hot later ,,
This will kind tell u whether ,, that "ball " is the culprit ,, or infact the heater core is plugged ,, heater cores are funny ,, they can plug in the center ,, and u never know it ,, yes i know u said the valve was clean ,, but the core has a little diff desighn ,, and they will plug from the center out :) :) :)

dastout

Next weekend I am going to do just that...remove the black ball. I will post the results. I do not know what a Hydro hot water system is...can you further explain what that means?
Thank you for your help! :)

G

Re: dash heat 2001 dutchstar

well nash u'r right ,, same thing ,, too many other manufactures out there using the same thing ,, but yes nash ,, that is what i meant ;) :approve: :) :) and thanks ,, saved me alot of typing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dastout

:) Well it is Saturday & I just put the Dutchstar back in the Garage. I am happy to report that i have solved my heater problem. Turns out that "Black Ball" is a very heavy duty steel filter, in fact it was a plugged filter which explains why the water valve was clean. The filter has several stainless steel screens in it one of which is very fine mesh. I ended up soaking the filter in MEK for about an hour. The MEK loosened up the dirt which then I was able to flush out. Then i soaked the filter in Dawn dish detergent & hot water.

I am now able to see right through the filter. I installed, within minutes had very hot heat! Hope this helps someone else.
Thank you all for your help> :cool: :)

H2H1

Re: dash heat 2001 dutchstar

thanks for the reply back on you fixing your problem. I hope this helps others out