DC Converter Problem

bandalop

Who has had some experience with the charging system in their motorhome? I have 2004 Southwind, love it! Batteries went down and I found the converter was not charging. I scheduled an appointment with a local RV shop for replacement of the converter. Then the converter started working again! It would work and then not work. About the time I was to take the motorhome in to the shop, the converter was working so I canelled. A few days later I learned I had a low battery, not dead but would not hold a charge above 4.5V (I have two 6V batteries in series). I replaced the battery and have not had a problem with the converter since then. Can a bad battery put such a strain on the converter that it shuts down for a time and then starts up again or what? Do I still have a itermittent problem with the converter or was the battery the cause of my problem?

Triple E

Re: DC Converter Problem

I do know that some convertors will shut down on over current. A bad battery could put you in position. I would monitor it for a while and watch what it does. I have a feeling you have solved you problem.

C Nash

Art, I would tend to believe you just had battery problems. You could also have a bad connection, wire somewhere. It could also be a converter problem with a cold soldier in one of the boards. Just hard to say. Did you have a meter on it to tell how many volts the converter was putting out?

bandalop

Tripple E & C Nash
Yes, I had a meter on the battery and could tell when the converter was working as the voltage would go up to 13.5 to 14V. When the converter would shut off, the voltage would drop to 12.8V. I have noticed now that I replaced the battery that the converter does not run as long before shutting down. In other words, it is cycling much quicker and staying off longer. Before, it seem to run most of the time. I am in hope that the battery was causing my problem and the converter is not defective. :)