dc electric consumption

SierraTom

I had posted some time ago... and think I didn't pose the question properly.... I have two deep cycle rv batteries that are rated to 115 ampere hours each ( Costco).... I have tested with a multi-meter the consumption of the Dometic refrig circuit @ 29 amps and the heater fan circuit @34 amps.... is my thinking right in approximating that the total amperage available to me may be 4-5 hours of operation, with these two systems working?
Which in turn would answer why, when dry camping in the cold of the Sierras.... my heater stops operating in the middle of the night.
___________ My logical idea is to shut the fridge off in order to just about double the span of time of the heater working and keeping my tootsies warm. http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/images/emoticons/icon_smile_big.gif

Triple E

Re: dc electric consumption

Hello Tom, No your thinking is wrong if I am understanding your question. :( You should have a 3.5 amp fuse at your fridge. Which means, if I am thinking right, you should have no more than 2.5 amps at your frig. at max load.
Your heater, I not sure what fuse you have there but it should not be more than 15 amp. If so you should only be using 11.3 amp at full load. Even if you have a 30 amp fuse you should only be using 22.75 amps. at full load. Remember this is JMHO.

I sure someone else will weight in on this with a lot more smarts than I have, but I don't think I am to far off. Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

:8ball:

SierraTom

Hmmmm more things to consider. What I was attempting to get at is the consumption of amperes. I took the reading off my multi-meter with the fuse removed.
My house batteries deplete far too quickly in an old ('84 Chev P-30)gas puller motorhome.

TexasClodhopper

Tom, you should go back a get better amperage readings on those appliances. Those sound really high.

Triple E

Tom, I went out and measured my amperage at the fridge and heater. At the fridge I measure 0.2 amps and the heater 0.5 amps.
If you really do have the amps you are talking about and your fuse's are not blowing,,,,, I would be more worried about having a fire then which unit I should be or not be using. The wire gauge you have are not rated for that kind of amperage. High amperage on small wire = fire. Becareful. ;)

:8ball:

SierraTom

RE: dc electric consumption

I think I should post the solution to the problem... cost me $80 to find out in St. George Utah on a Yellowstone trip 3 weeks ago..... a mobile rv repair guy showed me.... my refrigerator switch was set to the defrost function.
So it was using the dc power from my 2 NEW batteries to "Electric blanket" the fridge!!!! Do I feel foolish... yup!
To my defense.... the little switch was located after you open the freezer door and within the molding if you can believe it. I had glanced thru the manual from Dometic and had not noticed even a reference to such a thing!!!
Hope this helps someone else out there...