Dead batteries

gvo

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Hope somebody can help me. I bought a 2005 Winny in July and had new batteries installed. It's now been sitting for a month and the batteries are all dead. It's plugged in to a regular 15 amp house plug.
There's enough power to turn on lights but not to start the engine even with the battery boost switch.
There is nothing turned on and the control panel indicates batteries are full.
Any ideas of what could be draining the batteries ?
Thanks

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Dead batteries

Hello and welcome.

If you batteries are dead and you are plugged into elec., your charger should be the first thing to look at.

C Nash

welcome to the forum gvo. Sounds as though you may have a bad battery connection. Does the engine even attempt to turn? Do you hear a click when you hit the start? Are you talking about the headlights will turn on or the house lights? If you have been hooked to shore power all the time either the converter is not working or it has boiled all the water from the batteries. The engine battery will not charge from the converter so it's possible that something has drained it. Ck the batteries at the battery to see if they are discharged. The control panel may be just reading surface volts or they may be inaccurate.

LEN

Welcome to the forum!
Quick test here from the info you gave us.
Unplug from 15amp service. Lights still work? Yes--some battery power. No--batteries are dead. If Yes, try start with or without battery boost any noise clicking or ??? If yes batteries may be just discharged. If No Short in batteries(they will deliver small load but when trying to start short) or bad connection somewhere or dirty connection. The confusing part is they show full charge. Another thought here is the Boost is not working and the chassis battery is dead but the coach are OK.

miket

Check the battery disconnect switch in the stair well. The disconnect is probably thrown so no charge is reaching the batteries under the stairs. Indicator on panel is reading converter output even though it says battery. Unplug from shore power, indicator probably won't even work.
The chassis battery is not charged when plugged in, you need a trickle charger to charge it. :(

H2H1

Hi Mike and welcome, I had the same problem with my MH. I installed a 1.5 amp trickle charger and ran wire to the + and - side of the battery. I plugged it into an on board 110 outlet, so when the coach is plugged into shore power it will charge the battery and keep it charged. This is the only way that I can keep them charged. I could not find the reason why they go dead and when I put it in the shop the RV techs couldn't find the problem either. So the 1.5 amp trickle charge is doing the job. So you might want to do this . the cost wasn't to expensive, I guess around 45.00 in all, but no more dead battery. Good luck.

gvo

No, there is no click when I try to start. I didnt check the headlights but the house lights work. I'll check the actual battery levels as you suggested. Thanks for your help.

gvo

The disconnect swith was not on so the charge should have gotten through to the batteries. Interesting that the indicator actually reads the converter output. !!!

I'll install a trickle charger.

Thanks

Kirk

Your lights get their power from the coach battery while the starter get's it's from the chassis battery. Most RV converters do not charge the chassis battery.