Deodorizer

What is the BEST deodorant to put in the holding tank? Also, HOW can you be it's completely clean when you are finished with it and are not going to be using for awhile? We always wait to "dump" until it's completely full but I just want to make sure it's COMPLETELY clean before we put it in the driveway. Any tricks to this?

H2H1

well I like you wait till it full then then drain it. I put in fresh water 1/4 full then little bleach let it sit for awhile then flush it. Then I put in fresh water till it is 1/4 full then I add calgon and let it soak a day or 2 then drain and flush it again . So for no oder or smell and I keep it cover all winter long.

C Nash

Water, water and more water. Be care with bleach as it can cause problems when mixed with other cleaners. I like to keep a little clean water in tank after draining and let it slosh around in the tanks while driving. If you travel I-10 west of Baton Rouge it should break any thing in the tank loose LOL. Calgon does seem to slick the inside up which helps keep tank cleaner JMO

What CLEANSER to you use in the toilet bowl itself

tdphillips;82923 said:
What is the BEST deodorant to put in the holding tank? Also, HOW can you be it's completely clean when you are finished with it and are not going to be using for awhile? We always wait to "dump" until it's completely full but I just want to make sure it's COMPLETELY clean before we put it in the driveway. Any tricks to this?

Was wondering what cleanser you use IN the toilet bowl itself.

mel stuplich

tdphillips;82923 said:

I've owned, and used my coach for 12 years, 103k miles.
10 years ago I started using a couple of oz of liquid RID-X in both tanks after each dump.
I usually store it, (for weeks and as long as up to 6 mo.), without completely emptying the black.
I've never "cleaned" the tanks, (I do occasionally rinse the black with the built in flusher).
...That works for me.

H2H1

I think RID X is suppose to be used for home septic tank systems, not RV tanks. But if that works for you great. As Nash said use plenty of water, which we do when in use. Calgon will break up any thing that has taken hold and harden up. Like some say pyramid is a problem,make sure you stop it before it gets out of hand.

Grandview Trailer Sa

When I dump my tanks, I will back fill them several times with water and dump until "it" comes out clean. I have a clear fixture on my sewer hose and can see when it is clean. If you do that, it will never have an odor and does not cost you a thing.

Thanks again!

Grandview Trailer Sa;82933 said:
When I dump my tanks, I will back fill them several times with water and dump until "it" comes out clean. I have a clear fixture on my sewer hose and can see when it is clean. If you do that, it will never have an odor and does not cost you a thing.

One more problem! After I drain the tanks they NEVER show completely empty and I'm not sure if they are or not! Any suggestions?

mel stuplich

H2H1;82932 said:
I think RID X is suppose to be used for home septic tank systems, not RV tanks. But if that works for you great. As Nash said use plenty of water, which we do when in use. Calgon will break up any thing that has taken hold and harden up. Like some say pyramid is a problem,make sure you stop it before it gets out of hand.

That is certainly not a reason NOT to use it......Maybe RID-X works so well in my black tank because I don't tell it that it's not going into a septic tank..... lol

I use a lot of things in/for my coach that were not intended/designed for RV use...(sometimes it's beneficial to "think out of the box").

The enzymes in RID-X "eat" sewage, (IMO sewage is sewage, no mater where it is).
Liquid RID-X is inexpensive and doesn't smell.
Nothing "has taken hold and harden up", (and no "pyramid" has developed), in the 10 years I've been using RID-X.
(A pyramid usually only develops if the toilet is used while the black tank is left open.....If the tank is allowed to fill before dumping most solids are flushed away/out).

BTW, it's not necessary to get a black tank so clean that YOU can eat out of it.

H2H1

Just how old is your MH? there is a possibillity that the sensors are dirty if so you will never get a correct reading. Here is what I would do, fill te tank up wher it is showing full, put in some calgon and lt it sit for a LONG while. BY doing this I think the calgon will break down what is on the sensor so it will read correct. This what I after we bought it used. I even got a 1/2 hankerchief out of it, why that was in there only god knows. So you see I got good results.
good luck

C Nash

Guess it all depends of how often you use the rv. RidX would not stay in mine long enough to be of any use. Most tank sensors are no very accurate anyway. Water in the tanks while driving down the road is the best rinser IMO. Ours is 12 yrs old and never a big problem. Yes sometimes the sensors are not accurate but after a drive with water in the tank they will read correct again. I do have the rinser on the sewage tank and use it often. Using a lot of water in our rvs is still less than a home will use. If it works do it.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Rid X would be a waste for me also. RVs have holding tanks, and I feel that Rid X would not work fast enough to do anything between dumps, but if it works for you, go for it!! I do put Rid X in my septic at home, it is good stuff.

When I back fill I use a clear bayonet section with a water hose fitting, that is attached to an extra gate valve. I close the valve on the fitting and water is forced back up into the tank. I watch my monitor panel and when it gets close to full, I open the extra valve. After you do this a few times the tank is clean and there is never an odor.

If your monitor panel never shows empty, like Nash says drive with some water in the tank and it will probably clear the sensors up.

Grandview Trailer Sa;82942 said:
Rid X would be a waste for me also. RVs have holding tanks, and I feel that Rid X would not work fast enough to do anything between dumps, but if it works for you, go for it!! I do put Rid X in my septic at home, it is good stuff.

When I back fill I use a clear bayonet section with a water hose fitting, that is attached to an extra gate valve. I close the valve on the fitting and water is forced back up into the tank. I watch my monitor panel and when it gets close to full, I open the extra valve. After you do this a few times the tank is clean and there is never an odor.

If your monitor panel never shows empty, like Nash says drive with some water in the tank and it will probably clear the sensors up.

We were told once to drive with a bag of ice we had dumped in the toilet. Would this give the same effect? Also, how MUCH Calgon do you use? Is it the dry powder kind? I am just wanting to prevent any trouble in that department. And just for a ANOTHER interesting development, our slide won't go out. Have a call into a repairman that will come out to the RV Park where we are. God knows how much THIS will cost!

H2H1

I out in a cup of calgon to 1 gallon of hot very hot water, and move the MH to get all wet, sit for a few hours, then put in some ice and drive it for a while to sloush it around, drain and flush several times. Good luck

C Nash

How long has it been since you had the slide out? If it has been a long time since you had it out the seals may be stuck to the rv side. A little bump from you may help. Do you hear a click or anything? Rats love to chew wires. I assume your batt is fully charged. Let us know what the tec finds.

Deodorizer

C Nash;82945 said:
How long has it been since you had the slide out? If it has been a long time since you had it out the seals may be stuck to the rv side. A little bump from you may help. Do you hear a click or anything? Rats love to chew wires. I assume your batt is fully charged. Let us know what the tec finds.

We DID hear a funny noice - a rather loud bump. The tech came out and said it was a mechanical problem and in order to fix it he would have to almost disassemble our bedroom so we're taking it back to where we took it LAST year for the very same thing. The best I can describe it is that there is a scissor like device on the bottom of the slide out and somehow a part of it has come loose AGAIN and it only goes so far and then we hear that noise. We got it open enough to empty the closet and drawers and will sleep in it "as is" (reminds me of a train compartment!) till we get back to Lexington and I HOPE and PRAY they will stand behind the repair they made LAST YEAR.

C Nash

Well hope they will but a year, you may be out of luck unless you got a good dealer. Not familiar with one that has a scissor type. keep us posted and good luck.