Destination Alaska - The Trip

akjimny

Well - here we are, back on the road to Alaska. Boss Lady and I were supposed to leave Sebring on May 1st, but due to a screw-up in shipping my truck, we didn't leave until yesterday. Pulled out around 0800 and managed to get all the way to the Winn-Dixie parking lot 4 miles from the house when I discovered that when making a left turn, the MH spare tire was rubbing against the trailer tongue jack. So after 45 minutes or so of parking lot rerpairs I managed to move the spare tire carrier over so I had clearance. I also discovered that my coach batteries were dead. Probably my fault since I left the MH plugged in all winter and probably cooked the batteries to a turn. They were low on water when I did my pre-departure checks, and I filled them, but I never unplugged the MH to see if they actually produced electricity. Lesson learned.

So Boss Lady, me, and two squalling cats managed to hit the road for good about 0930 and after a (thankfully) uneventfull trip, made it to my niece's house about 2030 last night.

Trip log so far: 488 miles 54.94 gallons of gas Gas cost $200.00.

Now - off to Wal-Mart for two new golf cart batteries.:eek::eek:

akjimny

Update - Batteries may not be dead. When I pulled them out to take them in for the core fee, I found a terminal end had pulled off the battery cable. So, bought a new, longer cable for $8.00. Better than two new batteries for ??? hundred dollars. I'm a happy boy!!:):)

dfedora

Jim
I hope all the rest of your trip is trouble free. I don't know how much weight is in the trailer but 8.8 MPG is great so far.
I know the roads are pretty flat roads so far. Have a great trip, I'm still getting ready probably 2 more weeks before I head up.

akjimny

Okay - Day two of the Trip to Alaska:

Day Two: Eglin Air Force Base, FL to Tupelo, MS. Saw a lot of back country two lane roads in Alabama. Seems there just isn't a better (read that shorter) way to get from the Florida panhandle to somewhere up North without travelling thru backwoods "Bama. But it was a nice trip - lots of green scenery and traffic wasn't too bad. Made it in to the RV park (Campground at Barnes Crossing) around 7:00 PM. Pretty campground set in rolling hills - but the site was level, had good hookups, wi-fi and cable so Boss Lady and I were both happy.

Trip Log Day Two: 397 miles 62.8 gallons of gas Gas cost $220.00 Campground fee $29.00

H2H1

Hi Jimmy glad you are having a good time with your driving. But driving thru AL back road now that takes a lot of courage, look out for NASH he is out an about. Take care safe travels

akjimny

Thanks Hollis. We're back on the Interstate now so all I have to watch for is the 18-wheelers blowing past me.

Here's a recap of Day Three: Went from Tupelo, MS to Cape Giradeau, MO via US 78, which is a 4 lane US highway trying to be an Interstate. So you get a pretty good limited access highway with NO REST AREAS. When you get up to my age, Rest Areas are an imperative. Drove thru Memphis in the rain, but it cleared up and the rest of the afternoon was okay. Except for the road construction. What is it about airports, hospitals and interstates that they are always under construction? Gas prices are continuing to come down, which is a blessing. $3.51.9 in Mississippi, down to $3.37.9 in Missouri. Maybe it'll be free by the time I get to Canada. Probably not.

Camped tonight at the Cape Camping and RV Park. Nice level spot right next to the restrooms (I asked for that), excellent cable and wi-fi. Whooppee!!

Trip log Day Three: 284 miles 42.7 gallons of gas Gas cost $147.00 Campground fee $29.00

C Nash

Well wish I could have seen yall on your way thru Alabama Jim. You had to be close. You need to mark Paul Grist state park for a stopover but allow time for fishing. Have a safe trip.

akjimny

Nash - I guess we were about 20 miles away. We went up I-65 to Montgomery and Birmingham, then on to Tupelo. Maybe you can come visit us up in Alaska. The invitation is out for anyone and everyone who makes it up there.

Here's a recap of Day Four - Went from Cape Giradieu, MO to Oak Grove, MO, which is about 20 miles East of KC, MO. Spending the night in the Kansas City KOA East campground. Got a reasonably level spot with cable TV and wi-fi. Trip today from St, Louis to here seemed to be all uphill and into a headwind. The only bright spot is gas prices continue to get cheaper. It was $3.47.9 this morning in Warrenton, MO and $3.22.9 this afternoon in Higginsville, MO. I'm still buying gas at Pilot/Flying J truck stops because I get a price break with my RV Value Member card. Two or three cents a gallon isn't much - but it's better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

Trip Log Day Four - 320 miles 56 gallons of gas Gas cost: $190.00 Campground fee: $31.35

H2H1

so as it stands now, you are spending over $200 a day just to get to Alaska, wow, now that is going to add up and add up fast. But continue with good luck and happy travels to u and the boss. But hope fully by the time u get to Canada it will be even lower

C Nash

Well Jim I would go back to Alaska in a minute if I had the dollars. Good to hear your trip is going ok. I know it cost a lot to rv to Alaska but it is worth it. Well its nothing new for you as you have made it several times.Guess you are just taking the shorest route so you can get there as soon as possible.

akjimny

No wi-fi last night so here's a recap of Days Five and Six.

Day Five - Travelled from Oak Grove, MO to Lennox, SD. Stayed at the Countryside Campground. Countryside is an understatement. It was basically a parking lot next to a convenience store and motel. They said there was wi-fi, but they were mistaken (or lied). Trip wasn't bad - sunny and cool and all interstate. Someday I would like to take a trip (other than in Alaska) and NOT travel on the interstate highways. They are good if you need to get there fast, but not much for scenery. While we were camped I got a phone call from my nephew in Alaska. He asked that if we passed by a Harbor Freight tool store if I would pick up a bead rolling tool for him (sheet metal fabrication beads- not necklace jewelry beads). I checked the Harbor Freight store locator and ther was a store just two blocks off the interstate, right on our route. So I pulled off and - - - they were sold out. So I had my GPS (Suzie) locate a store in Omaha - not exactly on our route, but close. Fought my way thru downtown traffic to the store and bought the tool. It weighs about 60 pounds, so I can see why my nephew didn't want to have it mailed to him in Alaska - and 60 pounds is just another drop in the bucket for the motorhome and trailer.

Trip log for Day Five: 392 miles 48.2 gallons of gas Gas cost $165.00 Campground fee $27.00

Day Six - Left Lennox heading North and had a tail wind all the way to Fargo. Breezed right along at 65 mph with no problems. Turned left at Fargo (heading West) and what had been a tailwind is now a crosswind trying to blow me off the road. Had to fight the steering wheeel and stomp on the gas for 90-some miles to Jamestown. Now at the Jamestown Campground watching cable tv and typing on the internet. We are down in a hollow, out of the wind and life is good. Especially since they have high wind warnings out for most of the country hereabouts.

Trip log for Day Six: 351 miles 48.4 gallons of gas Gas cost $169 Campground fee $29.00

Only bad thing is gas prices are back up to $3.47.9 and more. Bummer!!

H2H1

I know it not easy having to go back and be in one spot. But I have to admit, it sounds like you are having a good time driving back to Alaska. I really enjoy reading your blog , so keep it up as long as u can, but be careful.

akjimny

Okay - finally back in the world of wi-fi. Here’s what’s been going on so far:

Day Seven - Jamestown ND to Stoughton, SK. For those of you who might be following my itinerary, we were supposed to be in Weyburn, SK - - but somehow or another, Suzie (my GPS) got confused and took us down a dirt road to Stoughton instead to where I wanted her to take us. Probably my fault in programming her. Had high winds, ether headwinds or crosswinds ALL day. Really sucks up gas and brings my mpg down. We ended up in the city campground, which had just opened after being closed for the winter. But, according to the other campers there, there was no fee and they had just turned on the water. No cable or wi-fi, so Boss Lady and I watched a DVD and went to bed.

Trip log for Day Seven: 366 miles 60.7 gallons of gas Gas cost $230.00 Campground fee - Free

PS: To those of you who met me at the M&G at Misty River - do I look suspicious or something? Once again we got the Full Monty at the Canadian border. Boss Lady and I had to pull into the garage, get out and have a seat, while three very polite Canadian Border Service folks poked thru everything in the motorhome and the trailer full of our household goods. ?????
PSS: Gas prices in Canada are running around $1.26.9 Canadian per liter. Doing the math, that ends up being around $4.80 or more US dollars per gallon with the exchange rate.

Day Eight - Stoughton, SK to Battleford, SK. Uphill and against the wind, or so it seems. I’ve asked and apparently the wind never does stop out here on the Canadian prairies. Staying at the Eiling Kramer Campground with electricity and water (if you have a 50 foot hose) and wi-fi. No cable for the Boss Lady, so she’s watching another DVD. Campground fees are a little steep - $30.00 for water and electric and $5.00 more if you want wi-fi.

Trip log for Day Eight: 372 miles 217.036 liters of gas (57.3 gallons) Gas cost $274.00 Campground fee $35.00

C Nash

Well great to hear all is going well except for gas prices Jim. Nice to be able to read about your trip. Would be better if you could take your time along the way but know you have to get to Alaska. i thought the Canadians were going to keep us when we crossed into Canada!!! Even asked us how much money we had!!! Come within a gnats---- to telling them it was none of their business LOL. Good I didn't are we would still be there. keep the travel log coming.

H2H1

the more I hear about how Canadian are treating us American, I am thinking of not going thru Canada if and when we ever get a chance to Alaska. I think I /we will fly oveer or around. Nash, if was there and they asked me that question, well I don't I could have kept my mouth shut, and I would still be in there jail.

H2H1

Jimmy keep up the log, I do enjoy reading how ya'll are doing, and the cost of the gas.

C Nash

Hollis, we found that all the Canadians we met other than the border were very friendly. Really the border people were only doing their job and I was just not used to this type questions. They just wanted to know that I would not be stranded in Canada and not have the money to get out. They don't want freeloaders. We as a country might learn from them.

akjimny

Hollis - Like Nash said, everyone up here has been friendly - even the Border Service folks. I just seem to be having the luck of the draw the past two times we've travelled up here. So here's another two day entry now that I have wi-fi again.

Day Nine - Battleford SK to Whitecourt, ALB. Another day of uphill and into the wind and the Canadian traffic in Edmonton - but it got better the closer we got to Whitecourt. Passed up several RV campgrounds in favor of staying in a motel for the night. Boss Lady and I figured we could both use a shower and since she is disabled and needs help, the boy’s room/girl’s room bath arrangements at most campgrounds aren’t usable. Why more campgrounds don’t have individual bath facilities is a puzzle to me. It would seem that it wouldn’t take any more toilets, sinks and shower heads to set up individual baths than it does to set up group facilities. And it would be a whole lot nicer too. Okay - rant over. Anyway, we stayed at the Ritz motel in Whitecourt, both got showers and watched TV ‘til bedtime.

Trip log for Day Nine: 353 miles 51.9 gallons of gas Gas cost $225.00 Motel room $110.00 (but it did come with a free breakfast)

Day Ten - Whitecourt ALB to Ft. Saint John, BC. Made it thru Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek without any problems. Roads have been mostly four-lane and reasonably smooth (for Canada). Don’t know which traffic engineer genius came up with the idea of a traffic round-about for Dawson Creek, but he should be shot. Or made to drive around the damn thing for a day or two. Thankfully the winds have died down. Now all I have to face is the mountains. Spending the night in the Ft. St. John Rotary Campground. Have electricity and wi-fi, but the water and sewer lines are still frozen. But the dump station and water fill are working so everything is okay. On the road early tomorrow hoping to see some wildlife.

Trip log for Day Ten: 309 miles 42.6 gallons of gas Gas cost $195.00 Campground fee $29.00

LEN

Be careful the last 100 miles to Whitehorse, reported tobe ruff this year. And of course the last 100 into Alaska.

LEN