diesel or gas

poconut

I am new to rving I am trying to make a choice between a diesel or a gas rv I am buying a used unit, any and all responces would be greatly appeciated as my dang head is spinning from reading all the pro's and cons for each, so I decided to ask the pro's you fine people on this forum. Thank you for your responces.
Joe Mecus

C Nash

Re: diesel or gas

Welcome to the forum Joe. A lot depends on how much traveling you plan on. The diesel will handle and ride better and size to size get better MPG. The diesel tends to have more power and CCC. Course power will depend on engine size. Having said that I have a gasser and have been pleased with it. The diesel will run higher in dollars and more expensive for repairs if you have any IMO. Really just which you like best and which will serve you and your type travels. Do a search on pro and cons and you will find plenty on both. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Shorty

poconut
put 112k miles on a gasser with family in tow. we had a blast and were closer to each other with each trip and I was happy.
got a diesel and have started to roll up the miles with the family...still having a blast, family happy, I'm happy
I remember asking the same thing...for every pro there is a con
kinda like asking; Betty or Veronica?
MaryAnn or Ginger?
only my 2 cents
I do agree with Chelse tho...$$ & miles does make a difference

Triple E

I have a diesel. Have had gas, V-10. I will stay with diesel. The main reasons; better mpg, power and the big reason is the "Jake Brake". Going down some of these mountain passes will leave your figures squeezing the steering wheel and the wife wanting to get out and walk. With the Jake brake I am alot more comfortable, my brakes do not get hot and the wife is reading her book. JMO. ;)

C Nash

Jake brakes are great but the trans will work on a gasser for braking. You just have to have an ear for rpm and do it manual. I use the brakes very seldom on steep grades. Joe you will just have to decide if the extra dollars are worth the difference. As far as MPG you will never drive enough miles to make up the difference IMO. Most that have owened both say they would never go back to a gasser but most of us think what we have now is the best. :laugh: Having said all this if I could fit a diesel in our budget I would. :)

Triple E

C Nash - 9/30/2009 7:26 AM

Jake brakes are great but the trans will work on a gasser for braking. You just have to have an ear for rpm and do it manual. I use the brakes very seldom on steep grades. Joe you will just have to decide if the extra dollars are worth the difference. As far as MPG you will never drive enough miles to make up the difference IMO. Most that have owened both say they would never go back to a gasser but most of us think what we have now is the best. :laugh: Having said all this if I could fit a diesel in our budget I would. :)

I agree that a price of a diesel on a new rig is expensive but on a used rig is there that much difference on the pricing of a gas Vs. diesel? :question:

C Nash

Yes, on the ones I have checked the used diesel ran higher but kinda like camparing apples to oranges. Most comparable units will run aroun 8, 10 k more for diesel. JMO

poconut

Well thanks alot guys you are great, I think I'm gonna go with the gasser right now and see how that works out,if all else fails I'll trade her in and get a new model.....oh wait this isn't the trade in your wife forum............anyways thanks for the input and I'll let you know what I get
----------
Joe Mecus