Diesel vs. Gas Class A comfort

CharliefromVa

Hi,

My wife and I have a 2008 Class C. We have over 18,000 miles already on it. We love to travel. We plan to move up to a Class A in a year or two. My question is how much better is the DP for passenger comfort? With the air bags is the ride that much better? Our Class C rides like a truck. Of course we knew it when we brought it, however down the road we would appreciate a smoother riding vehicle. See a lot of discussions about diesel vs gas, but little on the comparative ride of the two Class As.

Thanks,
Charlie

C Nash

Re: Diesel vs. Gas Class A comfort

Charlie I don't think you can even compare the two. Diesel hands down for handling and ride but that might also depend on the type diesel/ JMO

H2H1

Charlie I sometime wish that I had bought a diesel, but with the cost of fuel I am glad I didn't. I know I would have a better towing MH, but I thought I could not aford it, boy was I wrong I should have bought one. So go ahead and get the diesel and be prepared for the future.

G

Hollis , u are right ,, to an extent ,, the DP does handle and ride better ,, and can tow a bit more ,, but there again ,, the cost of the unit ,, and then there is the fuel cost ,, in my last trip in May to Myrtle ,, i spent more in fuel than the CG cost for 2 weeks ,, but i see it this way ,,, we can only see this country once in our lives ,, and the fuel isn't gonna get any better ,, so the way i see it ,, go out and enjoy life ,, it's to short ,, and that is what i am doing this weekend ,, and also typing to u from my CS in Walland :) :)
And to the original poster welcome to the forums :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: ;)

CharliefromVa

RE: Diesel vs. Gas Class A comfort

Thanks for the information. Can you get add-ons to a gasser to make it a smoother ride or do folks with the gassers believe the ride is pretty smooth? Have they improved the Class A gas models where the dog house (?) is not that much of an obstacle? I believe I read somewhere that Ford has a much lower housing than Chevy? Is this true?

Thanks!! :approve: :approve: :approve:

utmtman

I have a gashog and I do not notice any difference in the ride than diesels I have ridden in. And I have also noticed its a lot more quiet consdering the engine is in the front. I test drove both diesel and gas before buying my gasser. Only thing I would have liked with the diesel is the ability to carry more weight but we have learned we dont need to have all that we wanted to haul.

vanole

I agree with CNash. But then of course I have a diesel. However I travel with my neighor alot who has a gasser 03 Vacationer and his unit rides well. Some time he and I ride togther and let the wives drive the other coach. I think the diesel is quiter inside up front. However if you walk towards the rear it gets noisy. Outside of course the diesel will wake the dead. Ride in my opinion no comparison. Yes the initial outlay for the diesel is more however myself I'm not a lead foot travel at speeds between 55-60 mph and get 12 mpg to the gallon running down 95 to Fla. Up in the hills of Western Pa or mountains in New England I get 9 to 11 mph.

I do know and important thing to consider when buying if ride is a huge concern is that you do not buy too short of a unit wheel base wise or you will experience porposing. My neighbors previous M/H was 34' (his present is 37') and there is a huuuuuuuuuuge difference in the ride.

V/R
Jeff

hstein

RE: Diesel vs. Gas Class A comfort

I agree with most of the posts that DP is the way to go. Heavier units hold the road better. Number and POSITION of air bags, weight distribution, chassis construction, even drive trains come into play. (Monaco's straight joints).