Does milage matter?

Glenn Fidler

I am looking at buying a 2006 Winnebago view (diesel). One has 28,000 miles and the other has 56,000 but is $8,000 cheaper. I was told by an old timer that after 100,000 miles a RV will make so much noise traveling down the road I will need to get rid of her. I have no knowlege of such matters and need some help. Thank you in advance. Glenn

p.s. I am not worried about the drive train I am wondering about does the body work loose and make a difference. Does a RV losen up to a point that it a maintenece nightmare?

LEN

Re: Does milage matter?

I would not walk away from either. But for $8000 difference the higher mileage could look better to me. Look at the maintenance of both look at the options of both inspect both drive both and decide. Driving and inspection should tell a difference.

LEN

rjf7g

My Tioga has a gas engine and 132,000 miles and is just fine...

DL Rupper

Hey Glen, welcome to the forum. The first thing you need to consider is just how many miles do you intend to put on the RV in a year. We have been RVing full-time for 14 years and have criss crossed the U.S. many, many times, but have only managed to put just a little over 100,000 miles on the 5th wheel trailer. We keep close track of how many miles the RV travels and have been amazed at the low millage racked up on the RV. We average between 20 to 25,000 miles on the pickup each year, but only about 6 to 7,000 miles on the 5th wheel. Most of the time the average RV is parked in a RV park and the tow vehicle or towed vehicle gets the majority of the miles.

Kirk

Our mileage on our motorhome is very close to what DL has seen on his. We have now been on the road for 9 years and have just over 50K miles. Of course, we have put more than 150K on our towd.

As to getting noisy, I suppose that they could if you don't take proper care of them, but it won't take ten years for things to begin to fall apart. Most people just make a practice of watching for what is loose and tightening it, replacing screws and bolts, as well as any other type fasteners that you may have. There is no need for the RV to fall apart, if you give it proper care and maintenance and if you start with a quality one. Winnebago has the reputation of building a quality RV. The only down side to the higher mileage would be that they have had more time and travel to neglect or abuse the RV, if the owner didn't care for it properly. Since the mileage is double I think that I would expect to see at least 15-20% less in cost.