DOMETIC DUO THERM A/C TROUBLESHOOTING

fshdreemr96

WE ARE LEAVING TOMORROW MORNING FOR A WEEK VACATION. BUT MY WIFE FORGOT AND TURNED ON THE A/C UNIT WITH THE VINYL PROTECTIVE COVER OVER THE COMPRESSOR SHROUD. AS A RESULT THE FAN AND COMPRESSOR DOES NOT COME ON. CHECKED ALL THE OBVIOUS (I.E BREAKERS, LAND CIRCUITS AND RELAY BOX 3 AMP FUSE). DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET BACK ON THE ROAD TO OUR DESTINATION?

Ed H.

DOMETIC DUO THERM A/C TROUBLESHOOTING

While I am not familiar with the exact configuration of your unit, I worked in the airconditioning industry as a service man for a good number of years and seen many ways of doing things. The following are generic suggestions as to what the damages may be.
First, check the breakers again...turn them off then back on just to be sure as some brands don't always look tripped when they are.
If you are really lucky, there will be a manual reset high pressure switch inside the cover of the unit. Another possability is a thermal reset on the fan motor and perhaps a lockout to keep the compressor off if the fan isn't running.
Another possability is a low pressure lockout keeping the system off because of loss of refrigerant due to high temperature/pressure causing a leak.
Of course,one last idea is that the major components could be fried from the heat.
This is why I NEVER reccomended putting a cover over an A/C unit when I was in that business. It only takes a few minutes to achieve total meltdown. I have seen one unit get hot enough to melt the solder off the piping. For what little protection a cover can provide (these units are designed to be exposed to the elements), there is too much risk of damage.