dometic refers

tims52

Anyone out there having any problems with dometic refrigerators. Had the recall kit installed in may of 2007. one year later I started smelling amonia. called dometic and the first thing they asked me is what year is my RV. I told them it what a 2003.Well they said that they could not help me, because the refrigerator was not in warranty, it has passed the three year warranty, but I said to them you had recall. they all but said to bad. Now it's going to cost me around 1500.00 dollars for the replacement of the cooling unit.

C Nash

Re: dometic refers

Think the recall was for fire hazzard which would have nothing to do with the amonia smell. That would be a leak in the refrigant system. Sorry to hear of your problem and welcome to the forum. Sounds high just for replacement of the cooling system. Ck for better prices and even consider a complete new unit. JMO

tims52

The price for a brand new refrigerator is 2600.00 dollars, The recall kit is supposed to block the flame from igniting the ammonia. Yes, I did get three other quotes.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Where in the world are you? What size refer do you have? I would be HAPPY to sell you a 6 or 8 cu. ft. refer for 2600.00. That is double what a 6cu. ft. model retails for.(If you have a 4 door model, that is another subject, but they were not under the recall.)

You should be able to get the cooling unit replaced for a LOT less than you say also.

You will have a 1 year warranty on the cooling unit. A 3 year warranty comes with the complete refer.

Your not quite right on your thoughts for the recall. The recall installed shields to protect your trailer in case of a burn through. It also added a thermal fuse that would burn in two and shut the refer down in case of fire. It did not stop the possibility of your cooling unit burning through.

tims52

The refer is a 10 cu. ft. ndr1062 w/ an ice maker, the price of the cooling unit is 1500.00 dollars installed

2003 NATIONAL RV - dolphin lx 6342

Grandview Trailer Sa

OK, that information would have been helpful in your first post. Yes, retail on a 1062 ranges from $2,130.00 to $2,524.00. I was unaware that they had been included in the recall.

SnowbirdInFlight

Well I checked on their web site and found out our fridge is on the list of recalls. They say to go to an authorized dealer (and where we bought our trailer IS an authorized dealer) and have them put some kit on it. Here's my thoughts on that though. We've had the trailer now for eight years with absolutely no trouble with the fridge. I'm wondering if maybe ours is okay or should I just go ahead and have it fixed?

H2H1

I would not take any chances. If it's on the recall I would take it in. better be safe than sorry.

Gruffy

If you can find a normal household refrigerator without auto defrost that fits you'll find the draw less then 2 amps. We run one at a remote cottage with a 600 watt inverter and a 12 volt battery. A lot cheaper then the dometic. ;)