Dometic Refrigerator

al3282

Have a new 2009 Damon Challenger with a "sick" Dometic refrigerator. Problem is that as inside temp in coach increases so does temp in the freezer and refer. For example- yesterday with a 6:30 AM inside coach temp of 60.2F freezer temp -2F and refer temp of 50F. Through the day inside coach temp increased to 85.8F by 4:00 PM with freezer temp increasing to 40F and refer to 66F. Earlier this week entire refrigerator was replaced with no change in this pattern. Currently running a test with AC operation with both shore power and then generator. Currently on gas operation. None of these power sources have changed the pattern.
Tomorrow, the coach goes back to the dealer to "try again" to isolate the problem. Refrigerator is in the galley slide. One theory at this time is "possible venting problem". Anybody have any thoughts on what the cause of this perplexing problem might be. This is our third motor home, all with Dometic refers, and this is a first for us. Any input would be appreciated before I resume the saga with the dealer tomorrow.

C Nash

Re: Dometic Refrigerator

Sounds like a venting problem to me. Might have to install a fan to get better ventlation. Has the dealer reported similar problems with other Damons with the same floor plan? Let us know what they find.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I agree, most refers that are in slideouts need fans to force air to circulate. Have dealer look at that. If the fan is there, make sure it is working.

rjf7g

Grandview Trailer Sa - 11/16/2008 2:07 PM

I agree, most refers that are in slideouts need fans to force air to circulate.

Interesting generalization...I assume that it is best to not have any appliances on a slide...

C Nash

I guess as long as they are installed correct with the needed circulation it's ok. I never liked the idea because of gas and electrical connections. Seems as though it would be an area for problems with the movement of the slide in and out. Lots more weight also in the slide but JMO. :) Guess it would be no more weight than two heavyweights sitting on the couch.:laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

When a refer is in the main part of the unit, there is a roof vent. When it is mounted in a slideout, both lower and upper vents are in the slide WALL. Therefore a fan needs to be installed to assist air flow. Without this airflow, the refer will not cool properly.

Kirk

I don't like refers in slides but that isn't the only possible issue. I would also look for insulation or something blocking the air flow as it seems to me that this is much worse than just a fan issue. One would think that a dealer who has replaced the refrigerator already would have checked things like air flow?

al3282

RE: Dometic Refrigerator

Thanks to all who responded. Turns out the problem was a blocked upper vent. An errant piece of tape that had not been removed after painting. There is a functioning fan but was unable to vent because of the blockage. As a former flight instructor the old adage of "Always expect the Unexpected" was driven home again :)

C Nash

Thanks for letting us know what was found Al. Bet the tech that had replaced the fridge had a red face. :laugh: