Dumb Founded

scimedted

I Have a TT that was purchased in Feb. 09. I have not been able to tow it due to severe swaying. The manufacture has had it for 2 months and all they can say is they dont know what the problem is. I would think that after all this time they should have me an answer? since they built it. The queston is what can I do about this.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Dumb Founded

You don't give any information. How about telling us trailer weight, tongue weight, type of hitch your using, sway control you using and what your tow vehicle is.

All I can tell you for sure is this: IF you have an properly equipped tow vehicle, the trailer has enough tongue weight and is hitched up correctly, it will tow.

C Nash

Only problem I have with the post is the mfg has no answer. Like GTS said in his post we need more info. Maybe the MFG or dealer don't want to tell him now his tow vehickle will not handle it after the salesperson told him he would have no problem :eek: :eek:

Sean Woodruff

Tow vehicles do not eliminate trailer sway. They can help to damp it, once it begins, because the side-to-side load on the hitch ball will be counteracted by the suspension on the tow vehicle. The steering torque input into the tow vehicle can also be counteracted by the wheel base. All trailers have trailer sway built into the design due to the location of the pivot point. Most 5th wheel owners will tell you that they tow nicely. I wonder why? The pivot point is over the rear axle.

C Nash

Well I tend to dissagree that a tow vehicle can not elimate sway. Bet a 16 foother wouldn't sway behind a semi :laugh:

scimedted

RE: Dumb Founded

Well here is your info. I have a ford F350 with the tongoue weight of the TT 950 pounds. TT weight 8700 and tongue weight has been ajusted up and down, tire pressure on TT and tow correct. I have had three different dealers set up sway pro and resse sway no help there. Three different tow vehicals tried no change in the sway. The dealer that sold this unit to me had a new TT on his lot that has same problem, they hooked up to it and they have same problem severe sway. There is a member on here Parkcoach who has new Carrage TT that posted for help for same problem. Carrage has my TT now for Two months and the only thing I have been told is that the front axle weight is 1300 pounds different than rear. I think that this TT is new for them and they have a design problem. I guess the question I am asking is do I have any legal rights or am I stuck with this.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Finally some information. Sounds like Carriage has messed up on the placement of the axles. NO trailer will tow correctly without tongue weight. I wonder if any of those dealers have weighed the tongue to see what actual tongue weight is. I bet the factory has by now.

For the average trailer, you have a tow vehicle that should be able to tow your trailer without any sway control. I understand the safety of having it and all that, but your truck should tow your trailer just fine. I have brought many trailers down the road from the factory that size, and larger, without sway control.

Hope Carriage works it out and makes you satisfied. They are a good company. I am a little surprised they have had it 2 months though.

scimedted

Ken your right they should not have TT that long. The big question is who should be pushing this issue me or the dealer that sold TT to me. I agree carrage is a good manufacture but I would like to be camping not being in the dark on the problem withh TT.

Grandview Trailer Sa

You need to be raising hell to get your money back or make them get you another trailer that tows correctly.

There is nothing wrong with a 30' trailer. We sell LOTS of them, the axles are too far forward, which lightens the tongue.

C Nash

I agree with Ken on the axles. I also agree it's time for some hell raising and maybe time for a lawyer. Sounds as though it is a design problem and time for Carriage to step up and do what's right. Better jump on it before another rv mfg bites the dust. The dealer should also be on your side. Keep us posted