Duo Thermostat giving fits

Radman2776

Getting ready to go to the mountains tomorrow and was checking everything out and the furnace is giving me fits. I have a duo-therm thermostat and it has 2 zones. I was going through the MOdes initially and the furnace popped up and ran for about 10 seconds and went back off. Now furnace does not even appear as an option when I hit the Mode button. A I doing something wrong? It worked a month or so ago. The LP is fine, there is not separate valve on the tank ( I only had to find it on the thrmostat last time) The LP regulator is workng because the hot water works and the refridgerator works on LP. I realize they may have their own regulator also. Can anyone help me with this issue?? It is going to be cold without it.
Thanks,
Phillip :)

LEN

Re: Duo Thermostat giving fits

Make sure you are on zone 1, I don't think the furnace shows on zone 2.

LEN

Radman2776

I have tried it in every position. I should just be able to hit the Mode button to furnace and it should come on. I know you have to hit Mode and fan at the same time for the zone 2, I don't have to do that?? I was reading another post about someone's furnace going out and the gentleman trying to help said the battery voltage could be too low to operate the furnace, that make sense but I am on a shore cord. I have been having issues with having LO DC showing up on my refridgerator. but it is still running on AC. I had my local RV dealer check it out and said the LP sensors and smake detectors were on the chasis batteries and were running it down etc.. The 2 coach batteries have already been replaced, so I am not sure if I am not draing the batteries somehow and that could be what is causing this issue???? I have 2 switches above the door on Chassis (STORE and USE) the coach (STORE and USE) he told me to ture the chassis switch off when I am not using it. What should I do with the Coach switch?? The batteries being low could be locking it out somehow?? Just guessing. What are your thoughts??
Thanks
Phillip :) :) :)

LEN

Should have the coach on use then on shore power they should be getting charged as well as have 12 volt shore power use. Even if the batteries are way down the furnace will run the fan but not light. I know you looked but the only way not to have the furnace not show is to be on zone 2 when cycling through the options at least on mine and as memory serves others I have looked at. As you have disribed sound exactly like mine. With shore power you could check the coach battery voltage and if low put on a charger.
LEN

Radman2776

Len,
I will do that. I will check it again later tonight. I will charge it in the morning. If you think of anything, please post it. I will be checking. I don't believe the thermostat is bad. I think I got some other issue. But with it not even showing furnace, it could be.
thanks,
Phillip

Radman2776

Checked the batteries and they are over 13 Volts. I did realize that sense the LP sensors are on the chassis battery, it probably has to be on in order for the furnace to kick on. ( makes sense to me) but anyway, still no furnace. It just does not give me the option on the digital display. I have checked the breakers, fuses and every combonation I can think of. It either is the DC batteries ( although I measured 13 plus voltage) or it is in the thermostat, which makes sense, but just not sure. I may just purchase one if I can find one tomorrow or Monday. I guess we will go, bundle up and buy a back up ceramic heater. I do think there might be a chance it might work when the batteries get a little charge in the drive. I am going to put a charge on them in the morning. Any other suggestions??? I would greatly appreciate any ideas.
thanks,
Phillip :question: :question: :question:

Triple E

I have two 2 zones Duo controllers. One controls the heat for the whole coach and the A/C for the front. The second one only control the A/C in the rear. The front control did the same thing as yours. For some reason it defaulted to Zone 2. I have to push in the two buttons, sorry I do not remember which two, to go to zone 1 and then I have the heat icon. If I turn off the coach power the controller will default back to zone 2 and I have to start all over again. So after getting tired of this, I thought why don't I put the rear controller in the front and the front controller in the rear. Hey it worked. I do not know if you have two controller but you might try it.

:8ball:

Radman2776

Thanks Triple E. But my thermostat is not locked in the zone 2 position, it is not allowing me to see the furnace at all. I have even checked zone 2 many times, but you are right that is only for the rear air. I was grasping at straws trying anything. A side note, if anyone needs to know. To go from zone 1 to zone 2, you have to press the Mode and the Fan at the same time to go back to zone 1, do the same thing. Mine is working fine there, just no furnace. I don't have to hold 2 buttons down to go to furnace do I?
thanks,
Phillip

LEN

No, should just press mode to go through options in zone 1. Does anyone know the reset for this thermostat??? I'm not near my RV so I can't get the instructions. This seems to be the only thing left except removing from the wall and checking the wiring connections.

LEN

LEN

MMMMM just thought of one more thing. Check the board on the furnace and reseat the connections and I think there is a fuse on the board like a 5 amp. Just wild thinking here but if no power to the board the thermostat may not know the furnace is there.

LEN

Radman2776

Went to the mountains and tried turning on the furnace and it came on. It worked the first night and did not work the other 2 nights. I had gone to the local retailer on the way up and bought another ceramic heater. Well those heaters worked great and kept everyone warm the other 2 mights. The only problem with that, is they put every plug on the same breaker and running 2 heaters will trip he breaker. I had to run one heater off the RV park poll and no problems. I think I am going to look at reducing the load off the one breaker, so I canrun 2 at a time on the motor home. I talked with my friend who owns an RV center and he agreed that I will probably have to replace the 4 button Themostat to the 5 button thermostat. You have to change the thermostat and a board or something n the AC unit. There is a reset button under the furnace panel outside, but it did not fix my problem. I will let everyone know what I find out and see if it can help anyone down the road. By the way, a very successful trip, no issues!!!
Thanks for your help.
Phillip :) :)