DuoTherm Thermostat replacement problem

RonWSl

I have a 95 HR Endeavor with dual AC roof units. Each is controlled by a separate thermostat. The Rear AC stopped working, and it has been determined that the Thermostat is bad. One would think this is a simple problem - buy a replacement stat and install it - WRONG. The thermostat is a DuoTHerm, Model #3105356.004. A web search failed to find one. I stopped at several RV dealers, no luck. Last RV dealer called Diometic and learned that my thermostat had been replaced by Model #3108701.339. Problem solved you say - WRONG again. That unit has now been replaced by Model #3307713.010, which not only requires the purchase of the thermostat, but a control unit for the AC itself and some wiring, etc etc, all at a cost of almost $350. I would like to wire in another stat, have seen several articles on replacement of the analogs with the Hunter digital battery operated units, BUT, my unit doesn’t have separate colored wires, but a flat ribbon with a plug. Has anyone else had this issue - any suggestions on how to fix such a simple issue as a thermostat replacement at a reasonable cost?
Thanks

G

RE: DuoTherm Thermostat replacement problem

welcome to the forums ronwsi ,, i have only seen this once ,, but it was in a newer model rv ,, and the only reason the thermo was replaced ,, was due to mice ,, they chewed the ribbon cord ,, and the front a/c unit would not work ,, let me ck my catalogs ,, i may just have a replacement or another alternative to u'r prob ,, Btw the thermo i replaced was also ,, replaced by another one ,, but it was a plug and play type deal ,, i'll let u know ,,, :approve: ;) :) :)

vanole

Re: DuoTherm Thermostat replacement problem

RonWSI,

I PM'd you a solution tha worked for me. Please let me know if you have trouble locating the web pages I speak of.

V/R
Jeff

goeers2001

Please let me know what has worked for anyone. Mine needs both units that can tell.Thanks

RonWSl

Jeff. thanks for the info,,,don't think your ideas will work with my problem,,,i was told by a mechanic that the theromsat is basically trashed - having no luck finding a replacement - several phone calls to rv salvage yards without luck,,,,adding to the problem, in one of the calls was also told that I couldn't just replace the rear thermo and control unit (which at over $350 from dometic I wouldn't do anyway, but would have to replace controls and stats in the front as well,,,,seems ridiculous that an AC manufacturing company wouldn't carry a stock of replacement thermostats if they are aware that other generic thermostats won't work with their models....still hoping for a resolution at a reasonable cost, or may have to bite the bullet and just replace the whole ac unit,,,,all for a $20 part :angry:

vanole

RonWSI,

Know what you mean on no supply support. I would give it a shot on cleaning the button contacts just to be sure. I was told the same thing when it happenned to me. Another option is that one site in my PM there is a guy who will rebuild your thermostat (got to be cheaper than 350 clams). I also think dinosaur (SP) electronics will rebuild it for you also.

I also agree with you about dometic leaving a bunch of folks hanging with the 4 button thermostat.

Also if you canot find the guy's post I mentioned try googling "Dometic Comfot Control System" do the quick read of the links and you will see his where he states I rebuild thermostats.

V/R
Jeff

whendrix

I rebuild DuoTherm thermostats and have a few of the (Harper Wyman) 310 5356 004. I also have the previous series and the 4 button series. I also have upgrade kits to 5 button from either. email me at whendrix@aol.com. William Hendrix