Duramax

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Duramax

I love my Duramax/GMC and I believe they are the best engines/trucks being built, but you want to pull a 40' Toy Hauler with a 3/4 ton SHORT BED???

My first comment it to go buy a TRUCK!! What does that 40' TH weigh?? Your 3/4 ton is rated to tow a lot, but when you have such a long trailer hooked to a short truck, that is a recipe for disaster. If the trailer starts swaying, your truck does not have enough a-s to keep it under control. Remember, 1/2 the job of SAFE towing is STOPPING. You are gonna have a LOT of weight to bring to a stop, under control. Don't fool youself into thinking the trailer brakes are as good as your vehicle brakes.

Let me know when your coming thru VA, and I will stay off the road. I know your not smiling right now, but that is my opinion, and I tell it like it is.

frac999

Just weighing option on what to do, I am thinking about going to the 2011 F-350 Diesel, they are saying that wont have any problems towing it but neither would the Duramax, i just wondering about the pin weight and suspenion in the 3/4 ton.
The trailer will be probably 3400 pin weight and 17-18K total weight

Grandview Trailer Sa

Why don't you just get the new GM 3500? Will tow 21,000 pounds as I understand it. Why would you consider a Ford??? The new GM will out tow Ford or Dodge...

frac999

that was my 1st choice and proably go that way but I have a good friend that is sales manager for a big ford dealarship and he trying to get me to buy a ford. Will see what happens.

LEN

While I may disagree with Ken on the chev out towing the Ford or Dodge. They all have about the same torgue and HP 350-365 hp and 650-660lbs. I do like the GM's better because of the Allison automatic.

LEN

Grandview Trailer Sa

This is off the GM website for 2011 3500HD:

For heavy-duty trucks, torque is king. And the legendary, available Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine wears the crown:

More maximum hp and torque than any competitor - 397 horses and 765 lb.-ft. of torque - the most powerful heavy-duty ever made 21,700 lbs. of maximum towing(4,6) - more than Ford or Ram

More than 11% improvement in highway fuel economy(7) over the previous generation

Here is the link to the page: http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/2011/silverado3500hd/overview.do

Read it and weep :laugh:

G

not to put ken down or anything ,, but the durmax is actually an Isuzu Diesel ,, been around as long as the b model cummins has ,, but the B model was first brought out as an industrail engine only ,, such as for pumps ,, gensets and such ,, the Isuzu ,, has been in deliverey trucks for yrs ,, as long as the Cummins has been out ,, IMO i like the Isuzu ,, almost as easy to work on as the Cummins is ,, but parts for it are a diff story :eek: :(
Btw ,, the cummins is only set for about 20% of it's actual HP rating ,, that is done by the Dodge factory ,, to keep their trucks in one piece ,, but u can turn the cummins up ,, and really get some HP outta them ,, and fairly cheap also ,, but agian JMO :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Your right Rod, Cummins or Dodge, detunes that engine just so the rest of the truck stays together. Don't take that the wrong way, Dodge fans, I have had 2 Dodges and they were great trucks. But if they put full power in the engine, the transmission would be the first thing to go. Then driveshafts and u-joints.......

GM has totally re-designed the frame in the 2011 to handle the torque that Duramax (Izuzu) Engine is now set to, but I KNOW while your towing that heavy load, the GM still rides the best.