DWI and Canada

larry koenn

The wife and I are heading off to the north in two days, expect to cross the Canadian Border in a few days heading back to Alaska for our tenth time.

I just got a call from a friend that is running about a week ahead of us. He said the Canadians held him up for three hours over a DWI he got in 1971. He also has made the trip many times and has never been bothered over his forty year old DWI. So we are thinking someone is typing in old paper records for us. And it would even have to be the US States providing the information. Now the wife and I are worried, I should have gotten lots of DWIs back in those days but never did. The wife did however get one in 1969. So we're expecting the hassle too. My friend was finally allow to continue thru Canada but can not return this fall until he provides Proof of Rehabilitation and pays a $200 fee.

So, is this really all about the $200 or are the Canadians really this worried about a forty year old mistake someone made? And, my friend also had a forty year old minor possesion of pot charge on his record. They also knew about that, but it was ok.

Larry

akjimny

Re: DWI and Canada

Larry - Did your friend have his US passport with him? If you do have a passport, the Canadians will check your records and can demand you post a bond prior to traveling thru. But I have not heard of anyone with a passport having to post any bond. :question: :question: No DUI's on my record, so I have never had any hassle - other than the complete vehicle check we went thru this last time coming across the border. I'm thinking it was just random chance that we got selected - you know - check every 5th vehicle and we were just the lucky one's in the queue. Again, no problems, just an hour or so delay in the journey. :) :)

larry koenn

Yes, he traveles with a Passport. it is now required to enter Canada and also required to reenter the US. We have both been crossing the border every year for the last ten years. They are now getting all our US old records entered into the Canadian system.

akjimny

If he had his passport and the Canadians still wanted a $200 bond, it's probably all about the $200 and not the old DUI. :angry: :angry:

If anyone else has any experience with this, please post back so we know what we may face trying to go thru Canada.

larry koenn

Jim,

I don't think my friend had to post a bond, he said the rehabilitation process cost a fee of $200. I've been looking at some of this on the net after posting on this forum. It seems if you have a felony, Canada calls a DWI/DUI a felony, and it's within five years you can't come into Canada, after ten years you can submit for rehabilitation and get permission to enter. The process can take up to a year. One problem is it all seems to be up to the officer at the crossing and he can decide to let you in or not even though you may have done all the paperwork.

Now, I think a DWI is a pretty bad thing, but one my wife got back in the late 1960ties is pushing it a little. If she had continued to get a DWI every few years that would be quite a different thing. She hasn't even gotten a speeding ticket in forty years. In my friends case his was the only DWI he ever got. He is a disabled Vietnam Vet but I wouldn't guess that would matter. After forty years you kind of put it behind you but not any more. We may have finally gotten Osama but we're still going to be paying for him for a very long time.
Larry

Triple E

My grandson dad is a border patrol officer. He has told me that when you are sitting in-line to cross the border an agent enters you plate number into the system. By the time you get to the gate they know more about you then you do. :(

Reminds me of the old wars movies we watched when we where kids. If you didn't have your papers,,,, you disappeared.

LEN

It's not just DWI!! If there is any domestic thing on your record Canada will refuse entrance. Case in point, son inlaw ripped a picture of girl friend and him apart at 19 years of age, cops were called, she hit him he never retaliated, one had to go to jail, he was the one, 10 years later he was refused entrance. He did all the required class's but still no entrance. They are getting tough.

LEN

akjimny

I've been doing some research on this and this note is from the Canadian Border Services Agency website:

Please Note: Canada, like the United States, has rules that prohibit entry for persons with specific ineligibilities. For example, anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)), no matter how long ago, may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (www.cic.gc.ca)

When you go to the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration website, you will find out about all crimes and such that can prohibit you from IMMIGRATING to Canada. I couldn't find any reference to persons just traveling thru Canada.

I guess they must be getting more strict on who they allow to cross their borders, even through I couldn't find any reference to persons just passing through. I wish they had made it a little easier to find this information, and maybe I didn't find it all. Anyone with more info, please add to this thread. This could really put a crimp in some people's travel plans. :eek: :eek: :eek:

LEN

Not that I have any record at all. Wouldn't it be the craps if you were allowed through from the low 48 then barred from returning from the north. Yikes!!! could get very expensive fast.

LEN