Efficient, enjoyable Roadtripping for couple 50+

JRichardson

We have a Dutchman D model folding camper. I want to give this up and purchase a slide in for a pick up. I am thinking of a Palomino B600. Would a Ford Ranger or F150 type pick up be fine for this? Would it be necessary to alter the truck to handle this load? Would a 3/4 ton be more appropriate?
I am just beginning to plan for this, so any advice from a seasoned truck camper would be appreciated.

Bounder Boy

RE: Efficient, enjoyable Roadtripping for couple 50+

I am NOT a truck camper, but first I would check on the weight of any unit you are considering and also the load limit for your truck. This will weed out a number of units and narrow your search quicker. I have found through life, a little extra capacity and control goes a long way. That being said, unless you are thinking a lightweight 8 ft. model. I would not get a 1/2 ton. A 3/4 ton or even 1 ton would handle the load and have better control for both weight and steering I would guess.

akjimny

Re: Efficient, enjoyable Roadtripping for couple 50+

Hi JT and welcome to the forum. A 3/4 ton truck would be the minimum needed to carry any kind of sizable camper. Anything you put on a Ranger or F150 would be too small for anything other than basic amenities (bed, two burner stove, porta-potty and minimum potable water capacity). This will be okay if you are only going out for an occasional weekend. Bigger is (usually) better. JMO :) :)