Electric Space heaters

krsmitty

Anyone recommend a good electric space heater?

While out this past week temps dropped into the high 20's. Had a couple smaller heaters and had a hard time keeping the RV warm. Used the RV heater if it got below 63*. Went to Wally world and bought a Honeywell radiator type heater for large rooms, but it barely worked and only if you were within 5' of it. Still had to run another heater to keep the room warm. Returned it for a refund, so will be out looking for another one.

C Nash

Re: Electric Space heaters

In the 20s and most all rvs will be hard to heat. Type and amount of insulation in rv also matters. Thanks for the info on the heater Ken. I was thinking of getting one of these heaters for our rv. I was told by another rver that had one that it was great but maybe he was in 40 degree weather :laugh: .. Keep us posted on anything you find that works.

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Electric Space heaters

I got mine from Wally World. I got an Energy Smart brand. When the temps are 32 or above the one in the LR/KIT and one in the BR are sufficient. But, when we stayed at home in IL last year and the temps dropped well below 32 I had to hook up a third one in the LR/KIT area to keep comfortable. Of course we also have a heating blanket for nighttime sleeping so we kept cozy. I think they cost me under $50.

krsmitty

C Nash - 1/3/2011 11:06 AM

In the 20s and most all rvs will be hard to heat. Type and amount of insulation in rv also matters. Thanks for the info on the heater Ken. I was thinking of getting one of these heaters for our rv. I was told by another rver that had one that it was great but maybe he was in 40 degree weather :laugh: .. Keep us posted on anything you find that works.

There seemed to be a lot of people who like the radiator type heaters. I have tried 2 of them over the last couple years with no great success. It seemed to work ok once the temps got up into the 40's or so.

I have a smaller tower type heater that works good in smaller rooms like the bedroom of our 5th wheel. But did not work very well in the LR/Kit area once the temps got below 40*. Why I was looking for a better/bigger one. I may try one of the larger towers and see how it works. Think it comes down to the fan size or how much hot air it can move.

krsmitty

RE: Electric Space heaters

SnowbirdInFlight - 1/3/2011 11:26 AM

I got mine from Wally World. I got an Energy Smart brand. When the temps are 32 or above the one in the LR/KIT and one in the BR are sufficient. But, when we stayed at home in IL last year and the temps dropped well below 32 I had to hook up a third one in the LR/KIT area to keep comfortable. Of course we also have a heating blanket for nighttime sleeping so we kept cozy. I think they cost me under $50.

We use an electric blanket also, so the small tower we now have works great in the BR

H2H1

I just bought me one of those Amish surge heat heater for 296.00. Not only does it look like a fire place but as I under stand it puts out good heat. But of course it has not arrive here yet. I also have 2 electric heaters working in the MH when it gets really cold. When we had 19 degrees temps. it kepy the inside at 53 degrees. But the good part is we aren't camping in it now, so it is nice and warm when I just out there and check things out.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I have some electric heaters also, but if you have an enclosed underbelly, or a basement....they won't keep that warm. For the water lines there, you have to run your furnace when it is below freezing.

H2H1

Ken since you mention that, I do have a heat vent in the basaement compartment where the water, sewer connection are. But like you said, your furance has to be on to get any heat there.

cougarkid

We had night time temps in the 10's and lower for the past few weeks. Just getting up to the mid 30's during the day. Finally warming back up to the 20's at night and the 40's during the day.

We have been using an oil filled radiator type heater in our 32' class A. The radiator sits up front, on the floor behind the doghouse. I have a small forced-air space heater sitting on the dog house, blowing air through the radiator (just using the fan - no heat). This would hold the temp at around 68 degrees until about 11:00 pm.

The front RV furnace is set at 65 and it would come on 5 or 6 times during the nights. The rear RV furnace is set at 70 and it would come on 9 or 10 times a night. This is roughly 1/4 of the times they came on BEFORE we started using the radiator heater.

There is heat tape on the piping in the dump bay, a spot light (yes, a 120v spotlight) pointing at the dump pipes and a forced-air space heater. Water and sewer are run through an insulated pipe to connections. No pipe freezes.

We also use a heated matress pad on the bed - the best investment we have made yet! Bed is wam and the heat risies from underneath you.

Basement model RV with the basement filled with batt insulation. 1/2"Plywood skirting around base. 1/2" blue foam insulation in the windshield and on the front side windows. 1/2" blue insulation in the rear window and across the lower half of the back wall (head od the bed).

Getting up for the 2:00 am run the the bathroom is a warm trip!