Electric stairs won't go in!

Well, new day, new problem. We cannot get the electric stairs to retract. They START and only go part of the way and will come BACK out but won't retract all the way back under the RV. We have been parked for almost a month and have started the RV to get the battery charged up again but that hasn't helped. WHAT DO WE DO?????
Mrs. Phillips

akjimny

TD - Make sure everything is clean, aligned and lubed. I had to beat mine back into alignment and clean a couple of pounds of mud, grit and gravel out of them after our last trip up the Alcan. Once they're clean and aligned, spray them with WD40 or something similar and hopefully they'll work okay. Good Luck.

Clay L

There is a pin with a cotter key in the end that keeps the actuating arm connected to the step. If you remove that you can move the step back and forth and see if it binds. The control board senses bindng or stopping and cuts the current to the step. The step may just need lubrication.
Some people use motorcycle chain lube. I use KwikLube from Kwikee. It sprays on as a liquid that pentrates the moving parts and drys to a waxy lube.

Clay L;85298 said:
There is a pin with a cotter key in the end that keeps the actuating arm connected to the step. If you remove that you can move the step back and forth and see if it binds. The control board senses bindng or stopping and cuts the current to the step. The step may just need lubrication.
Some people use motorcycle chain lube. I use KwikLube from Kwikee. It sprays on as a liquid that pentrates the moving parts and drys to a waxy lube.

We must have gone through a half can of WD-40 but the more we sprayed the better they moved and I could SEE lots of sand and dirt where they pivot so I took a wire brush and cleaned that out as much as possible and they would go back in a little bit more and more until FINALLY they went in and came out just fine! Wouldn't go anywhere without WD-40 and duct tape! Learning more and more everyday!

Clay L

WD may work to loosen them but it doesn't last nearly as long as KwikLube or motorcycle chain lube.

H2H1

well I see you gotten it fixed, great. I carry a small rubber mallet to tap on mine when they get where they want to stick. I also carry a can of silicone grease and keep them lubed. The step is one of the most forgotten item to keep maintenance on. I also clean and re spray them when I leave Fl. remember salt and sand is bad for any vehicle. Good luck and happy camping.