Electric step support

bobnc

When my steps are lowered, they are loose and feel like they need a support under the bottom step. Are there any ideas or cheap tricks other that blocks of wood to help stabilize these steps?

ARCHER

Electric step support

bobnc, welcome to the forum. I use a small cement block with wood under them for support....but it stays there for almost 6 months will spending winter in Florida.
I believe you can also purchase a support specifically made for that purpose. Try the RV stores or RV web sites.
Good luck.... ;) :cool: :laugh: :)

janicenlarry

Electric step support

I use 2 pcs. 1X8 hinged at top about 16" (will vary with step height off of level ground). 2/3 of way down, drill a hole and pass a chain thru both holes with an S hook on each end. Place under step, spread legs until step is supported and place S hooks on outside to maintain height. Works great and takes little storage room. :blush:

ARCHER

Electric step support

Hey Larry, you don't happen to have a picture of what you described do you?? Sounds like a really neat idea, but I'm a little slow so a pic might really help me.
tks

janicenlarry

Electric step support

Imagine an A with the hinge at the top and under the step. The cross bar on the A is the chain anchored at both ends with an S hook. Hope that helps. :laugh:

ARCHER

Electric step support

I think I gottcha now. If I understand correctly you have two of these...one for each side of the step, right? Did you put any kind of support between the two "A's", like a 2x4 or something or are they self supporting at each end? Tks for the advice and help.... ;) :cool: :laugh: :)

janicenlarry

Electric step support

Nope only use 1 in the center. You can use 1x8, 1x10 or 1x12 depending on step size, with substantial hinge(s). Long axis of A is parallel to step i.e. when you look at the step from the side of your rig, you see the A. Hope that helps. :cool:

ARCHER

Electric step support

Larry, thanks. I understand it now. Think I'll try and build one for my steps. Sounds like it ought to be just what I need. I never did like the cement block with wood on top to support the step. (I did not carry the cement block in the MH...left it at the winter site and it was always there when I went back).
thanks again ;)