+ & - electrical connections on RV's

Goldsdlf

Did I hear wrong.....???? I recently learned that the ground and hot electrical lines in RV's are opposite to those in an automobile or truck. The ground is + and connected to the body. The same guys that invented the earlier John Deere tractors must have invented the first RV's. Are there any electrical experts out there that can give a little insight as to why the electrical system is set up this way. I can see where it could lead to many complications..... especially when batteries are removed for the winter and then hooked bak up with the neg as ground... if this situation is true.. it is one of the best kept secrets in the industry.....Comments please...

Poppa

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! NO NO NO NO NO :dead: Please check your owners manual for this subject :laugh: . There are very very few rv's or auto on the road today that use the positive ground system. 99.9999999999 percent of all electrical manufacturers have adopted the negative ground as a standard :clown: .

sepisllib

WOW!

You had better get straight on this one right away - otherwise if you are making repairs you can easily create tons more trouble than you started out with.

Bill & Judy

Gary B

Hi Goldsdlf, I'm thinking you heard wrong or mistook what the other guy was saying, RV wiring is the same as home wiring, in that the (-) negitive wire is white and the (+) positive wires are black! :eek: This is sometimes confused by folks who naturally think like automotive that black is the ground wire. And I have seen this done with not so good results. But as posted no one is building rv's with positive grounds!! :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

jkill2001

yes as stated above i've seen this white wire negative and black wires positive now that i work on all the rv's at my rv dealer i've seen this done and have almost connected the wrong wires for charging make sure to check ur battery terminals for the correct polarity. especially on old rv's i can't say this enough please please check the wires i've seen some shady things on used rv's at the lot so be careful if u add anything.

Kirk

I have been an RV owner now since 1972 and I have never seen even one RV that had a positive ground. In fact, how could you even do that with a gas motorhome, since all of the chassis are built by auto manufacturers who use the standard negative ground? I don't know where you heard that theory, but whatever the source is, don't listen to any advice as they clearly know nothing about RVs.

Goldsdlf

OK FOLKS THANKS FOR THE INPUT.... IT APPEARS FROM EVERYONES RESPONSES THAT THE NEG OR BLACK WIRE IS ALWAYS GROUND AND RED THE POSITIVE AND UNLESS SOME JUG HEAD HAS CHANGED WIRING COLORS. THE NEG POST IS ATTACHED TO THE FRAME WITH A BLACK WIRE ! ! NOW, TAKE A LOOK AT THE GENERATOR IN YOUR 5TH WHEEL OR MOTOR HOME... DOES A BLACK WIRE COME FROM THE GENERATOR TO THE + POST OF THE BATTERY???? THIS IS THE WAY OUR GENERATOR WAS INSTALLED BY CAMPING WORLD... AFTER A DOZEN CALLS :( TRYING TO REACH THE SERVICE MANAGER, HE ASSURED ME THIS WAS CORRECT. WHY WASN'T A RED WIRE USED TO KEEP CONFORMITY.... THIS IS WHAT CAN CAUSE CONFUSION. :dead: IS THERE A GENERATOR PERSON OUT THERE THAT CAN COMMENT ON THIS ASPECT....

Gary B

HI Goldsdlf, I guess you didn't read! Black is Positive and White is negitive just like regular house wiring. Thats why the generator is wired that way Black (HOT) positive White (-) negitive.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Kirk

quote:. WHY WASN'T A RED WIRE USED TO KEEP CONFORMITY....
Goldsdlf

The answer to your question comes from the fact that you are comparing the wire colors for 12V-dc that comes from your battery to the 120V-ac that comes from your genset. The reason that the wire is not red is because your genset does not make any +12V-dc power. That is what a red wire is for. With the 120V-ac power, black is the high side and white is the neutral. There is no positive or negitive since the term alternating current means that the positive and the negitive reverse positions twich each cycle or hertz. Your genset does not put out any 12V-dc power but depends upon the converter to create the 12V-dc power, just as shore power does.

Thus, the wire codes are correct. There is no lead between the output of your genset and the positive side of your battery. The only lead between the genset and your coach battery is the one that supplies power to the starter motor of your genset.