electrical issues

Jeff b

New to the forum didn't see a tech section please move if this is in the wrong section.

I'm new to the rv thing, looking for some suggestions.

2000 georgie boy landau, workhorse chassis, pursuit.

The electric in the rv keeps flickering. I have checked all the connections leading up to the wire for the rv. all the fuses are snug in the holders, breakers seem good.

I think I'm overlooking something, any ideas?

thanks.

C Nash

Re: electrical issues

You may have converter problems. Time to pull the VOM out and do some checking. You said you checked all wires. Did you check battery cables and grounds? What about water in the batteries? The lights will work off 12 volts. Check the ac voltage at one of the ac plugs with a meter. Try pluging a lamp into the ac plug and I'll bet it will not flicker. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on what you do and find.

Jeff b

I will check those things on Monday & update this thread with my findings.

Thank you

rjf7g

Is your air conditioner on? When the compressor kicks in on my air conditioner or residential refrigerator, I get a brief flicker as well.

Jeff b

The a/c is off, the 110 volt plugs are also flickering. Gonna do some more checking tonite. Maybe where it's connected to the garage.

Triple E

Are your 12 volt light as well as your 120v flickering? If your 12 volt lights are holding steady and not your 120v then you have a bad extinsion cord or your plug may be the problem. If it just your 12v, check your battery connection or converter wires. If both, I agree with Chelse, you might have a bad convertor. Good Luck and please let us know what you find. ;)

Kirk

Are you saying that the lights flicker and the voltage at the 120V-ac outlets varies? It could be that the lights are varying simply because the power to your converter is varying. I don't think that you would usually see that, but it is possible. I strongly suggest that you determine where the problem originates as electric problems cause fires. It may be as simple as a bad power plug, the outlet that you are connected to or some other problem outside of your RV. But should it be inside, you need to find and correct it.

The first thing that I would check is to pull the shore power plug and examine it and the outlet it connects to. If they are burned or show signs of having been hot, they should bot be replaced. Have you checked to verify that you have both a good neutral and a good ground to the RV from the power pedestal that it connects to? Do the lights flicker when you operate from the batteries? What happens if you connect to the generator, assuming that you have one? All of those are hints as to what the issue may be and where it comes from.

Jeff b

Turned out to be a bad main breaker on the house.

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions.