Electrical Loss?

candiswhitney

Electrical Loss?
I am visiting my children's home. Hooked up with a standard extension cord - not running air conditioning or any heat-producing products. Their electric bill has increased about 40% - Could there be some stray electrical current somewhere?
Thank you.

Kirk

Re: Electrical Loss?

A standard house outlet can supply no more than 15A so I find it difficult to believe that the RV is a significant share of that power drain. Even if you are drawing 100% of the rated voltage, which is not likely, the very most power that you could consume in a month without tripping the house circuit breaker would be 972 KWh. In most cases the cost per kilowatt hour is less than twenty cents. That would mean a price of $194 if you pay that much and if you use the absolute maximum power constantly, all day every day.

If you check the power bill you can easily find out what they are paying. It is probably much less than $0.20/KWh. And I'd bet that you are drawing 10A at most and probably not that much when averaged over the 24 hour period. If you use 10A, and at a rate of $0.15, you then see a bill of $129.

I don't have any way of knowing the amount of power that is normally used in that house, but I have serious doubts that you are the cause, even if your cord is bad and you are wasting a large amount of power.

Another factor is that when you add an extension cord that is too small for the load that you are drawing, the long cord wastes power just getting the current to the RV. I am sure that has some effect on what you are seeing, but I still do not believe that your RV is the answer.

TexasClodhopper

Candis, welcome to the forum!

I just want to add this:

You tell those "children" that you are worth it whatever it costs! :clown:

Triple E

I agree with Tex.

Go down to the local hardware store and buy on of those donut shape amp meter. Hook the donut around the hot wire, black, at the circuit breaker that you are plugged in to. This will tell you exactly how must current you are pulling. An amp meter is a good instrument to add to your tool box. Good luck.

Remember; Watts = Electric X Current. Soooo, 120 volts, times, your amp meter reading will equal your wattage.

candiswhitney

Thanks, Kirk, Tex and Triple E,
This is good information and I will continue to investigate!
The kids do love having me here - especially the grandkids! Swimming lessons everyday, mini-hikes in the woods and s'mores on weekends - Doesn't get much betteer than that for 3, 4, and 8 years old. (and 60 year olds!)
Just returned from a solo trip to the White Mountains, NH - beautiful & cool!
Thanks for your help,
Candis