electrical problem

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by mgrizzwc, Dec 14, 2008.

  1. mgrizzwc

    mgrizzwc New Member

    I have just purchased an older Pace Arrow. It uses 30 amps electrical. Last night the lights started to go dim and I heard a clicking noise in the electrical panel. When I turned on the furnace, all the lights dimmed, the furnace would not come on and the lights got dimmer by the minute. Any ideas what is wrong and what to do to fix this?
     
  2. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Re: electrical problem

    Sounds like a converter problem. Might also want to ck water level in battery. Do you have a volt meter on board? If so, what does it show voltage in the house battery?
     
  3. mgrizzwc

    mgrizzwc New Member

    Re: electrical problem

    Thank you. Could you be a little more specific about the converter? I am a novice and it all sounds like a foreign language.
     
  4. ErnieEkberg

    ErnieEkberg New Member

    Re: electrical problem

    Your converter convert 120 volts to 12 volts. Your converter may not be functional. Usually, the converter has a built in battery charger. It sounds like the unit is not charging the batteries, thus the reason for your lights flickering. Unplug the charger and add a separate battery charger to the batteries and see if your lites get bright.
     
  5. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Re: electrical problem

    Might be the converter is ok, and the house batteries are bad, especially if it is an older unit and they have sit for a long time discharged, etc. Test the batteries
     
  6. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Re: electrical problem

    Mike I am assuming you are pluged into shore power. First make sure you have 110 volts at the plug. Does you Microwave work? If so you got 110. Check to be sure the converter is pluged into the 110 socket. The converter should be somewhere near where the shore power enters the MH. If you fine the converter it should have a hum but that does not mean it's operating and charging the batteries. Could be a fuse or wire problem. Will need to ck voltage to see if it is charging. Should read around 14 volts output. Do some more checking and get back with us. Also will help to know the brand of converter if you can find it.
     
  7. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Re: electrical problem

    My converter in my 89 Chieftain was under the passenger seat. I am pretty deaf but could feel the heat coming out the vent on the floor above the unit. I always made sure my coach/house and engine batteries were fully charged (fluid level of distilled water) before I tried anything. Yes, your micro should work if your getting shore power and 110 outlets should work also and fridge on AC. Chelse knows his stuff so follow his instructions closely. As a side note, the furnace, hot water tank and fridge electrical boards work off the batteries (or converter). I'd still check your batteries. I just talk a lot.... ;) :)
     

Share This Page