electrical

Discussion in 'Towables' started by kburnsmill, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. kburnsmill

    kburnsmill New Member

    Good morning to everyone;
    I'm new to RVing and would like some advice. I have a new travel trailer and I am somewhat confused by the electrical system. How does the electrical system work as far as when the batteries are running the trailor and when the power from an outlet is running the trailor? Is there a way to switch which power the trailor is using?
     
  2. chevysabre

    chevysabre New Member

    RE: electrical

    The battery will run the water pump and most of the lights in the camper so if you dont have power you can be self sufficent. when you plug the trailer in everything is taken over by the service you are plugged into. you wont have to do anything to switch it over.
     
  3. TexasClodhopper

    TexasClodhopper Senior Member

    Re: electrical

    Tim is correct. My RV lights all run off of the battery. When there is AC from the park that I am plugged into, the 'converter' recharges the battery as you are using it. There is no switch for this.

    It depends on your model whether you have any lights that run directly on AC.

    You won't be able to use big items like the air conditioner (A/C) or microwave unless plugged in, because they don't run off of your battery (although they need a functioning battery to operate.) The same goes with your propane heater if it's fan runs on AC. Usually a TV is also AC only, but there are DC (battery) TVs in some models.

    There's probably more items, but I can't think of any right now.
     
  4. wvcamper

    wvcamper New Member

    RE: electrical

    Look at it this way...
    When you are running off your batteries (dry camping), the only thing you are supplying power to is lights, water pump, possibly a electronic ignition for your refrigerator stove and hot water tank. etc...
    Your Air Conditioner, TV, microwave, receptacles, etc. require 110 volts AC and will not work.

    For simplicity sake, think of the convertor charger as nothing more than a 12 volt DC power supply.
    When you are plugged into shore power via a receptacle or generator, your convertor is "converting" 110volts AC to 12volts DC and powering your lights and water pump. It is also charging your on board battery.

    As soon as shore power is lost:
    1 You lose your TV, AC, Microwave and receptacles.
    2 Your convertor stops supplying power to your lights and water pump (and also stops charging your batteries)
    3 Your battery resumes its responsibility of powering lights and water pump.

    Hope this helps.

    Best of luck and Happy Camping!!!!
    Dave
    KD8EBL
     
  5. TexasClodhopper

    TexasClodhopper Senior Member

    Re: electrical

    Well Dave, what a great time for you to jump in here and add your input! Welcome to the forum and well said!
     
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Re: electrical

    all three of u are right ,, and myself am dealing with an rv that is not doing that ,, it charges ok when nothing is on but about 2 days worth of 12 volt use the batts go dead ,, well tracked it down to the converter ,, and as of now trying to get thru to the warranty people ,, the unit is less than 18 months old ,, and the dealer could not get to it ,, for 5 weeks ,, and the customer want to use it on labor day ,, so i will post back on the out come ,, and Dave welcome to the forums :approve: :approve: :approve:
    Opps forgot to welcome Keith also ,, the OP ,, welcome :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:
     
  7. wvcamper

    wvcamper New Member

    Re: electrical

    Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading this forum for quite a while and finally joined it.
    I have learned a lot here.
    Just got my camper this past March.. Have had it out 6 times so far and LOVE every minute of it!!!

    I learned a lot about the electrical system from here where I work.. We took a Renegade RV, gutted it and are in the process of turning it into a mobile command center.
    I was always a little baffled about how rv's are wired. That was until we had it down to the studs and had to trace every single wire.
    Had to be careful because everything had to be disconnected....But the slide-out. If it quit working, big oops!!

    Thanks again and we'll be chatting later.
    Dave
     

Share This Page