engine oil change in a diesel pusher

tommiehawke

i bought a 2000 allegro bus with a 330 hp cummins engine last may. when i bought the bus i had it serviced with a 15000 mile oil change. shortly after the purchase, my wife became ill and has since passed away. as a result there has been very little mileage accumulated on the bus. nowhere near the 15000 miles for which the service was intended. my question is; should the engine oil and filters be changed every year or when the mileage indicates. i have heard arguements on both sides. i have heard that the oil builds up a toxicity over a period of time, even without mileage. i have also heard that this is hogwash. since this is a fairly expensive outlay to change the oil and filters, any info will be appreciated.
ken

H2H1

Re: engine oil change in a diesel pusher

First of all, I sorry to hear about your wife. I hope you are doing well. As for as the oil I really don't know about the diesel, but I change the oil in mt MH Gasser at 4500 miles. Now if I don't drive 4500 miles I at least go and run it for awhile just to keep thing lubricated, same with the genset. I am sure their will be diesel owners who will add there 2 cents and give you a better idea. If not PM Rod Baker (730) he can give you his opinion since he is diesel mechanic and works on MH TT and 5er. GOOD LUCK, AND ONCE AGAIN SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.

nifty9

Sorry to here your about your wife. About your question I own several diesel 5.9 cummins and 8.3 and they bouth get changed every 5000 km or for you americans thats 3000 miles oil is very cheep and I do the changes with new filters the 5.9is about$65 the 8.3 with diesel generator is about $160 I change the genset every 100 hrs and they treat me kindly in return .The dealer ship that sold my wife her new truck change the oil every 90 days did not matter what the milage was never more than approx 2000 km sorry I am not a machanic but own many street rods that do not see alot of miles some only see 150 miles a year but the oil can pick up concensation in the oil pan and you dont want oil new or old and sludge to in you motors also a little tip fill you diesel pusher full of fuel when it is not in use less chance of condensation in fuel tank .This has worked for me for almost 20 years and never a machanicl problem with diesels .Except for altenator and water pump and brakes and tires.Stay away from 95 dodge automatic trans made in mexico plastic line fittings .Cheers Dave in Victoria B.C.

Triple E

Ok I will add my two cents worth. I have a Cat 3126. I use Synthetic Diesel Oils. One year after I change the oil I will do an Oil Analysis to determine if I need to change the oil. If the test comes back ok then I will do the oil change the next year. I have never had a bad oil test. I am lucky if I put more than 5,000 miles per year on my motor home. With this being said, I do change the oil filter every year. I use Donaldson Filters only.
Also for some history, I run the engine, when not in use, every month for at least an hour. The Gen set for two hours under a load. I do the same with the oil in the Gen Set also.
The oil test cost me around $24.00 and takes about four days for the results to come back. I do this at an authorized Cat repair shop.
To make the taking of the oil sample for testing easier, I have installed a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve in place of the oil pan plug. Man does this make it nice for not only taking oil samples but for changing the oil. No more mess.
I too am very sorry to hear about your wife. Seem life never goes the way you plan. Sorry.
Anyway I hope this helps.
:)

:8ball:

G

IMO ,, and as some know ,, i owned a DP ,, and it was my rule ,, change the oil once yr ,, whether it needed it or not ,, but i would be more concerned on watching the silica levels in the coolant ,, if u do not keep this up ,, it will pit the liners of the cylinders ,, and cause bad stuff to happen ,, even if u are not using it ,, but agian JMO
but i do agree with steve ,, have the oil analized ,, it will not only tell u if it needs changing or not ,, but can see the wear and tear on the engine ,, and also detect other probs that maybe u are not aware of yet :approve: :approve: :)

Triple E

Ken, you need to fire that baby up and come to the Meet & Greet this fall, Oct. 1st., Misty River Camp Ground, Tenn. We would love to have you there. ;) :cool: :)

tommiehawke

i might just do that. i love tennessee.
ken
icon_smile.gif

JRogers

Triple E - 5/9/2010 3:47 PM

Ok I will add my two cents worth. I have a Cat 3126. I use Synthetic Diesel Oils. One year after I change the oil I will do an Oil Analysis to determine if I need to change the oil. If the test comes back ok then I will do the oil change the next year. I have never had a bad oil test. I am lucky if I put more than 5,000 miles per year on my motor home. With this being said, I do change the oil filter every year. I use Donaldson Filters only.
Also for some history, I run the engine, when not in use, every month for at least an hour. The Gen set for two hours under a load. I do the same with the oil in the Gen Set also.
The oil test cost me around $24.00 and takes about four days for the results to come back. I do this at an authorized Cat repair shop.
To make the taking of the oil sample for testing easier, I have installed a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve in place of the oil pan plug. Man does this make it nice for not only taking oil samples but for changing the oil. No more mess.
I too am very sorry to hear about your wife. Seem life never goes the way you plan. Sorry.
Anyway I hope this helps.
:)

This sounds like you use amsoil

Triple E

10-4, Started using it in 1978 after seeing it being used on the Alaska Oil Pipeline project. I am a very satisfied customer. :cool:

JRogers

Awesome!! Im a dealer and use it in my race quad...and when the vehicles are due they will get some too.

Paul235

Triple E

Good to see someone who understands the smart maintenance concept of synthetics in our coaches. This is an extremely difficult thing to teach when there are so many myths and old wives tales based on pure nonsense. Keep your thinking on the right track and enjoy your rig. You're doing it right!
icon_smile.gif

LEN

The trouble with the extended life oils is not if they work or not but if Cat or Cummins will honor a break if there is no proof of oil change.

LEN

vanole

tommiehawke,

I'm an oil change believer. Witht the 330 HP I think you have an ISC engine. If you have sat idle for such a long time and haven't changed to OAT coolant don't forget to test your coolant. If I remember correctly you can get the test strips at many palces but I think Cummins has a 4 pack for around $6. You may need a new coolant filter after the test and luckily those are under $10.

V/R
Jeff

V/R
Jeff