extended hitch pin

Shadow

Hi guys, need a quick anwser. Which pin should I put on our new fifth wheel - extended hitch pin or the regular hitch pin? Reason I ask is that I have the 8-foot bed and was wondering if weight made a difference. Which pin would you prefer? Thanks!

John Harrelson

extended hitch pin

Hi Shadow,
First off, you normally don't need an extended pin box when using a long bed truck.

And here is the reply I always give to folk when they start talking about replacing the standard pin box with an extended pin box..

Hopefully this will give you something to think about in making your decision.

John

here is the article ............

As to using the extended pin box ...

The extended pin boxes are designed for use on "lite-weight" 5th wheels.. If your 5th wheel did not come with one installed on it by the factory, it is not recommended to install an extended pin box on the trailer.

The use of an extended pin box on the average 5th wheel can and has caused severe damage to the trailer frame where the pin box frame is welded on to it. There are a couple of reports on several of these assorted RV forums that tell stories of trailer frames being twisted, warped and in some cases, the pin box and it's frame has been ripped completely off the trailer.

Just imagine this happening at 60 mph down the highway... or maybe you better not, you need your sleep tonight...

Judging from the danger that I have read about on the RV forums, I would definitely not install an extended pin box on any 5th wheel trailer. I would go with a sliding receiver hitch in the truck bed if I had a short bed truck.
It may cost more than the extended pin box .. but it could be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.

Replacing the standard pin box with an extended pin box could also void any warranty you may have on the trailer. At the very least, I would check with the manufacturer (NOT the dealer) and see what they have too say about the idea. AND GET IT IN WRITING ..

I do sincerely wish you the best of luck, and as I always say.. "it's just my opinion and everyone to his own"

John

Shadow

extended hitch pin

Thanks John, The reason I asked is I set the truck under one with an extended pin and one with the regular pin. Glancing you really didn't see a difference,maybe about 8". On this model fifth wheel it comes with the standed hitch or extended. Thanks again John.