EZ Lube Axles

Steve H

Does anyone here use the EZ Lube feature for greasing wheel bearings? There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding this method rather than hand packing. I have not done either to date but I am getting ready to do one or the other before this camping season begins. It would be much easier to use the EZ Lube but I also don't want to worry about blown seals etc. What say you all?

Grandview Trailer Sa

I say, take it down and hand pack. The axle makers don't like the EZ system, the public demands it and that is why they do it. IF you fill up the hub with grease with the EZ system, you will put in cold grease....as it heats up going down the road it will expand and blow the rear seal. That will throw grease all over the brakes. Grease will impregnate into the cast iron hubs and you might as well throw them away. You cant clean them....you can wipe them down with thinners, gas, whatever you want, but the grease impregnates into the casting and will come out when it gets hot. The brake assemblys might get saved, but it is labor intensive....You are FAR better to hand pack..

FROM A DEXTER TECHNICIAN: Pack your bearings once a year or every 12,000 miles, and do it by hand.

Steve H

Grandview Trailer Sa;76951 said:
FROM A DEXTER TECHNICIAN: Pack your bearings once a year or every 12,000 miles, and do it by hand.

Thanks Kenneth for the reply...that seems to be the general consensus with the EZ lube feature. Now...I realize manufacturers will say repack/inspect yearly but my question...is that actually necessary? I can't seem to understand why trailer bearings need such demanding care compared to most other conveyances. Why is this so?

Thanks for your input!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Steve, Had to give you the patent answer. To tell you the truth, probably not. I would say if you tow 3,000 miles a year, you could probably go 4 year on the bearings. I like to look at the whole package yearly and that includes the brakes. Hard to pull down to look at one without looking at the other. Just a good thing to do.

Steve H

Thank you! Our rig is just two years old and, unfortunately, only has about 4000 miles on it, mostly short trips. I don't mind attempting the repack job but on the other hand, I don't want to do something that may be unnecessary...I don't see us adding much more than 1500 miles this season. Perhaps next year would be a more appropriate time. Retirement is around the corner...then we can spend more time in the camper!

Best Wishes!

Grandview Trailer Sa

I would think your just fine. When on your next trip, stop after 50 or so miles and feel the trailers hubs. If they are cool to the touch, and all are the same temps, your fine. If one is hotter than the others, you need to find out why. Brakes will warm the hubs up of course, so the main thing I check for is the same temps between the 4 hubs.

C Nash

A infa ray thermoter is great for this. I think the yearly thought of checking /packing brg came from boat trailers. This was important because you were always backing into water. I agree with Ken on the rv trailers. Tempature will tell you a lots.

akjimny

You can get an Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting for $40.00 plus shipping from Harbor Freight. Works pretty good.:):)

C Nash

Thanks for giving the correct name on the thermometer Jim. I could not remember excatly what it was called. Age catching up with my brain but it didn't have much catching to do LOL.

akjimny

Nash - It's called CRS - -- - or at least I think that's what it's called. I can't remember exactly. What were we talking about???

H2H1

some guy name Steve, put a picture of your electra gilde up. I am thinking about a trike for me and the wife.