filling tires and tightening lug nuts on my 5'er and truck

Discussion in 'Towables' started by johnsho, Sep 16, 2010.

1. johnsho

johnsho New Member

How do you all do these tasks? Does everyone own a torque wrench and an air compressure? If so, can I get some suggestions on brands, models, specs ...

2. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

Re: filling tires and tightening lug nuts on my 5'er and truck

I would think most of us do own a air compressure, a impact wrench and maybe a torque wrench. I know I do, well except for thr torque wrench,

3. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

some how I sent it on without finishing what I was saying. I do not own a torque wrench, I just tighten it as much as the impact will and then I put a cheater bar to give it a little more torque. But that is on a MH tires. On my trailer I use just the impact.

4. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

Trailer lug nuts should be tightened to 110-120 pounds of torque, yea I have a torque wrench. An impact wrench won't be accurate because air pressure varies at the tank, as you use it and it pumps back up. Sorry Hollis

5. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

no problem Ken as u know I don't own a TT, so I don't have to do any of that. But my air compressor will put out to 125 lps of pressure, so when I use it I feel OK with it. But that just me and you are right.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

well not being mean or anything ,, but i have an Impact made by Snap-on ,, and it will turn 450ft lbs ,, at 90 psi ,, i also have one that will turn 900ft lbs at also 90 psi ,, but one is a 3/4 drive ,, and the other is one inch drive :eek: :eek: ,, most all of snap on tools impacts are tested and rated at lower then most compressors can out out ,, but i under stand about the torque issues ,, one other thing to add ,, if i may ,, if the tt has rust around the lug nuts ,, either one or all ,, that is a sign the lugs are loose ,, i myself ck my lugs every time the MH moves ,, but all that know me ,, know how i am on stuff like that :blush: :approve: :) :)

7. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

Another reason that you need to used a torque wrench is so you don't OVER tighten the nuts. After a nut is tightened correctly, anything more, just stretches the bolt. I have seen them break because they have been too loose and too tight.