First Purchase need advise

outrider32

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a TT (Dutchman 26 ft) thats two years old from the estate of a neighbor of ours. The son is handling the estate and the trailer is in arizona. We live in Canada. The son is telling us that his mother never registered the trailer and hence he has no Dept. of Transport(canada) permit, but he will give us a bill of sale. We are not sure what we should be asking for. I know the son has very little info about his mothers affairs as he lived out of the country. Should we have a serial Number or is there some other number we will need? We intend to bring the trailer back across Canada this summer. Any advise on Dutchmen trailers? Are there such things as temporary travel permits to move a trailer from one site to another?
THanks for any help.
outrider32

Gary B

Hi outrider32, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know I'd research it and get aqll the answers before I put up any money. First I'd start at Canada Dept of Transport and get all the requirements as to S/N, Make / model, wt. length etc. I would find it hard to belive there are no tags/license on the trailer even if purchased in AZ. as AZ generally dosn't allow a RV to be parked with out some licensing (any state for that matter). You will definetly need a permit/license before crossing into your country. As for the Dutchman they are an entry level trailer, but many folks have had very good experience with them, good luck with the trailer deal, and welcome to the forum. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
PS if the trailer really never was registried then it would have a certicate of orgin from the mfg. in the paper work.

outrider32

Thanks for the reply GaryB,
It is not that the trailer doesn't have any registration on it, its that the family selling it on behalf of thier mothers estate has no information. They have offered this trailer to my wife and I at an attractive price partly due to the expectation that we will track down necessary paperwork. The son who is the executor lives out of the country and just want's to "get rid of the silly thing" If we can figure out the paperwork problems we will get a vertually new trailer at a great price. It seems worth the aggravation. I think..
thanks

Gary B

I see, what your saying is it has license but he can't find all the paper work? If thats the case you will be ok, but will have to do some paper work and find the right folks to work with you. Yes you'll end up with a deal, maybe you need to speak with customs to find out what is required to get it into your country, a bill of sale should be good, showing that you purchased it and from whom. Good luck and keep us updated. :) :laugh: :bleh: :approve:

hertig

The thing I'd worry about is the title. With that, you can probably register it anywhere. Without a title, you may not be able to register it, and you will never be sure that you really own it.

If the son does not have the title, you will probably have to do a title search to find out who 'officially' owns the trailer, and then get a 'duplicate' title (probably by posting a title bond). Make sure that you include all these costs in your evaluation of the total cost of acquiring the trailer.