First time buyers

dadshotrod

We are currently looking at a 40ft 2002 Monaco Diplamat. Three slides, Cummins 330 with 44k on it. Seems to have most everything that we are looking for: Layout & Bells & Whistles!! Any thoughts and or advice on the Monaco line & this particular model? We want to do some extensive traveling. Is one of these units up for that. Anyone know of any issues. I've seen quite a few of them for sale! EX. Year & Model. We would appr. any & all feedback. Thanx for looking!! BOB

akjimny

Re: First time buyers

Hi Bob and welcome to the RVUSA forum. Provided it was well maintained, 44k is nothing to a diesel. I would look at the tires for date of manufacture. If they are original equipment (made in 2002) they will need to be replaced - no matter how good the tread is. Also check the coach batteries (expensive experience speaking here). Other than generic stuff, I don't have any experience with Monaco, except that I see quite a few of them around. Maybe some of the other posters will have more brand-specific info.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :) :)

Triple E

I am big on having an oil analysis done. Cost is between 15 and 25 dollars. Could save you in the long run. Good luck and welcome.

Have all of the filters replaced.

Kirk

Let me strongly endorse what both of the others have already said. RV tires should never be run beyond seven years and you can look at the last digits of the DOT code to see when they were made. If the final numbers are 2201, that means that the tire was built in the 22nd week of the year 2001 and the tire is now nearly ten years old and is very dangerous to drive.

Monaco coaches are pretty good and have a reasonably good track record, but the Monaco Coach Company went through bankruptcy and was sold to pay their debts. The current company has now legal responsibility to the owners of products from the old company but they usually do give some support, if they can. The Diplomat is in the mid quality of coach that was built by them and the company had a slightly better than average reputation for quality.