Fleetwood Southwind Slide Problem

kmoore

Good morning RV'ers...

It's been a while since I posted but had a problem yesterday. We have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35r, great shape...but yesterday experienced a slide issue.

I had just put both slides out (in my driveway)...went to the store, bought groceries, came back and loaded it. I pulled the rear slide in...no problem. I turned the key to bring in the LR slide, and it just clicked. The sound is like an electrical click. I visually inspected under the slide and there are no obstructions. I checked the fuse but it appears that one fuse controls both slides and since the rear slide works, I am stumped. The vehicle's parking brake is engaged so it's not that. Thoughts??

Of course this happens after 5:00 on a holiday weekend. I am hoping that I missing something small but we have used the camper for the last year with no issues.

I have never manually cranked in the side either and since we bought it used, there is no user manual with slide instructions.

Any help is appreciated. Hope you are all enjoying the long weekend.

Kevin

big bilko

RE: Fleetwood Southwind Slide Problem

G,Day Kevin, We had a similar problem with our slide.First make sure you have not overloaded the storage in the actual slide.We had cans of food plus a lot of heavy items stored in ours. Also our RV must be level ,any angle would stop the slide from operating. We were forced to use the manual crank until we discovered these things off this forum.We now find that the slide works fine ,but on the odd time that it just clicks we push it by hand gently just to take some of the weight off the motor.Good luck and hope all works out. Regards BIG BILKO. :) :) :) :)

Kirk

Re: Fleetwood Southwind Slide Problem

Are you sure that you have enough voltage to do the job? Did you try starting the engine and allowing it to run a few minutes, then try the slide to see what happens. The clicking sounds to me like you may have some kind of voltage problem.

Is the slide electric or hydraulic?

vanole

I'm with Kirk. I'd be checking the charge on my batteries. As Kirk stated start the engine let it run to build up some juice and then try to retract again. Course BB has a good point seing how you just came back from buying some vittles and loaded them in the M/H.

Jeff

kmoore

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. I thought it may be a voltage problem as I had some battery issues - but I am plugged in to shore power. I also tried retracting the slide with the generator on. The oddest part is that the rear slide works with no issues. as far as what is in the slide...I really dont have much in the storage units - cords, bucket, etc. Pretty light stuff...but will try emptying them today to see if that helps. I'll let you kinow how it goes. Thanks again.

I am learning quickly how little I know about some of these things. I guess which each issue, I learn more about my RV.

Thanks again.

Kevin