ford 460 gas

dr drive

We are looking at a 95 georgie boy crusie air with the ford 460. I am moving from tag behind to Motor home..I am hearing that fords arent as dependable? I am an old camaro 427 man and I have found a really good deal..on this home. Are there things I should look for beside the engine issues? I am new to this....been camping 25 years.

H2H1

Re: ford 460 gas

well welcome to the forum. I have a chevy 8.1, so I don't know anything about fords, but there are a few on here who does. So hang around and you will get your answer(s)

G

well i have a 92 MH with a 460 ford ,, and as of yet not a prob ,, but ck and see if it was well maintained ,, that will be the biggy ,, and BTW ,, i moved down from a DP to a gas unit ,, but IMO very good move ,, gas is cheaper ,, NOW :laugh: :approve: :approve:
oh yea ,, btw ,, i am a die hard chevy fan ,, all i own except for 2 veihicles is built by GM ,, and i own a drag car ,, and it is 100 % GM :approve: :cool: :cool: :cool:

C Nash

Ronnie the old ford 460 was a tough engine and I'm a chevy person. Just look for the same thing you would on any gas engine. How many miles on the engine and has it had proper maintaience? The Ford chassis was a good chassis in that time frame IMO. I have the V10 Ford and it has been great for the 40k we have on it. The 460 will be a gas guzzler.

topdownman

RE: ford 460 gas

I've got a Ford 460 in my 95 Holiday Rambler. It's a great motor and I like it better than the 454 Chevy that was in my previous motorhome. The F53 chassis is much better and the handling is great. I've had no problems with my 460 and I've got 90,000 miles. The only issue that I've heard of is they are prone to cracking exhaust manifolds. :approve:

normb

RE: ford 460 gas

Hi,

I have a 1996 E-superduty class C with the 460 V8 with 57,000 miles on it. no problems at all except two sets of exhaust manifold gaskets in three years. I let the motor idle (cool) down for a bit after highway driving before shutting it off.

(only thing---gas mileage sucks!!! just over six mpg)

We drive 55mph and tow a Geo Tracker with a canoe on the roof of the Tracker.

normb

TexasClodhopper

Howdy, Norm! Welcome to the forum. You've had a purty good bunch of 'first' posts. Keep it up, and you'll have a 1000 posts before you know it! :clown:

topdownman

You mileage may vary ;) I think it depends completely on the weight, wind and what you're towing. I've found if I drive 60 mph as opposed to 70, I can get 7-8 out of my 36 foot HR with the 460. Speed speed speed. What's your hurry? :cool:

normb

Try three transmissiin rebuilds in two years. (tranny shop rebuild errors but totally covered by rebuilder--just inconvenient for us) When we had rebuild done I asked for and got the best super heavy duty components available on the market. The most significant one affecting mileage was the super duty torque converter. The transmission shop owner told me it would shift harsher than the original but I said I didn't get on the gas very hard so wouldn't notice the dif and I don't.

1. First rebuild at St Croix Transmission--they discovered that the previous rebuilder (done before we bought rv) did not Loctite the valve body bolts.
2. Second rebuild at Top Notch transmission (Ironwood, Mi)--St Croix mechanic put a Ford in-line filter in backwords. entire back end of tranny ran dry until failure after 270 miles. St Croix Transmission paid for rebuild, towing, inconvenience..Ron Harmon (owner at St Croix was super--called everyday, sometime twice, trying to resolve why tranny was howling.
3. Third rebuild at Top Notch in Ironwood, MI. Turns out Top Notch did not replace center support bearing. Top Notch would not warranty anything--said warranty should come from St Croix trans. End result was Ron Harmon paid Top Notch to remove and replace tranny. Ron sent his best mechanic and two helpers along with all parts necessary to rebuild tranny. They worked from 7:00PM until dawn and had it ready to go back in the
motorhome. All this with no cost to us!!

This entire response is even more extraordinary considering that Ron's wife was battling cancer and Ron is on a waiting list for kidney transplants and has to go for dialysis every week. His shop doors weren't high enough for our rig and he was booked up for two months. He ended up doing this over the weekend (with his son) at his home where he has a large pole barn where a class A was kept by the previous owner. (by the way, he fired the mechanic that put the filter in backwards)

If you ever get to St Croix Falls and need any Transmission work, Ron's shop is just east of Menards.

Norm B