FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line-Loc

Re: FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

I'm new to this site.

If FR is bad then what is a good 5th wh bunk 28'-30'?

PM if you want to.

DL Rupper

Hey Snowidow, Glad to hear you are satisfied with your Cardinal. This thread is only pointing out that FR is more suspect as a manufacturer due to all the problems that have surfaced. I for one, would never recommend a FR product or purchase one until the situation is improved. :) Just how many problems did you have? For instance, our HitchHiker only had 2 warranty issues/problems after we purchased it. I consider 2 problems to be about as many as I want to deal with the dealer/manufacturer over. :eek:

C Nash

Now DL, that's not a fair compairson. A HitchHiker to a Forest River :eek: . Think there would be quit adifference in price. Yes, if all rvers could afford the HitchHiker I doubt that Forest River would be making a rv. Not defending FR by no means but they offer units to some that their buget just won't go with the upper units. I would recommend anyone to ck all units in the same price range and yes I feel that there are some much better than the FR. I have spoke with several people that have the FR units at the local dealer and they are satisfied and say they have not had any problems with warranty work. Never owned a FR myself so really can't make a judgement. :)

ARCHER

I just think you get what you pay for. I've seen some really nice/expensive units with problems, and some really cheap units with none. To each their own.

DL Rupper

Hey guys I'm not trying to compare FR with HitchHiker. I believe any RV should be delivered without a lot of major problems. The manufacturer's quality control program or lack of program is the determining factor. There are plenty of good quality lower cost RV's being manufactured. The HitchHiker and other higher cost RV's primarily are the choice of full-timers because they are made to withstand the wear and tear of full-timing. Whereas the lower cost units are manufactured to meet the requirements of occasional week end camping. However, if you only buy a RV for occasional or winter use, you expect it not to leak and fall apart as you watch. :eek:

From the high number of complaints against FR, I believe the manufacturer is intertested in building his units to make lots of money without regard to his customers. He is probably trying to zero in on first time buyers.

However, since you all seem to think FR is so great, I will not post on this subject again.

C Nash

Not saying they are great DL but they are considered a entry level rv. I have had no experiance at all in owning one. If you have never had a leak you are very lucky but I bet you have kept your unit serviced and ahead of leaks. I have had leaks on ever unit I have owned but also find them before damage has been done. I owned one can't even remember the make :) and the floor was rotted. leson learned use a ice pick from then on around coners of rv :) . Look at how Fleetwood is bashed. Could it be because there are a lot of units sold. Most that are satisfied never post that their units are great. Guess I'm just playing the :evil: here but go to a certain forum and you will see that FR is praised. Go figure. I haven't gone through this post and counted how many FR owners are bashing FR but bet if all FR owners would post the ratio of displeased owners would not be any worse than other comparable units. Agin no dog in the fight, woops might not be able to use that phrase in todays political world, because I have never owned one and no I don't have stock in FR :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

minerz

Well folks I made my last post in September on this FR issue. Then I left for the mountians and did my fall hunting and got back yesterday. I see that the posts have continued. I started camping in the early 60's. I have camped under trees with a tarp, to tents, to the back of pickups with shells, to overhead campers, to TT's to Fiver's. I am on my fourth 5er. I can't tell you how happy I am to find that I am not ageing as fast as I thought as with the above post I am still in an entry level RV. I am feeling younger by the post. Guess I can't figure when you folks that are bad mouthing every make of RV out there except of course the one parked nexted to yours, or some guy that you just met told you that you were going to have problems with, or you have read to many posts that have now got you feeling like your unit is a problem just waiting to happen have the time to enjoy the unit. If of course you are doing the RV thing and taking your computer with you that in itself is a possible problem you may want to seek some advice on. My condolences go out to anyone haveing problems, and expecially the guy that is at the end of his rope with a problem he has tried to get fixed but can't. I call that time to trade. I don't begrudge anyone giving advice to the first time RVer, but buying and RV is like buying anything else. You can buy the most expensive item out there and it will need your attention. Some of the posts here are just short of blameing the manufacturer because you ran out of gas. I have run into several folks with as you want to say high end RV's, one over 300K who ended up with a leaky roof because some where along the way he had tore the rear A/C unit completly off the roof and didn't know it. He was cussing the manufaturer because there was wind coming in the hole and when he turned it on was not getting any cold air and could not hear it running. Another guy had what you want to call a high end 5er that had a leaky roof. Problem was the fellow had stuffed his unit in a space that was not big enough and ripped a hole in the roof. Another fellow kept complaining about the sewer stink in his unit, and not until the black tank overflowed the toilet did he understand that he had two tanks and had to drain both, but it sure was a spendy, fancy trailer.
If I spent all my time in my back yard trying to find problems I would imagine I could find plenty and that goes for any make, model or price of unit.
Biggest problem I had with my Cherokee was it came with no ladder to get on the roof. So I put one on for the purpose of maybe finding a potential problem before I had to get on this forum and complain. I had more problems with my second 5er that was $40,000.00 more expensive than this Cherokee. My Cherokee used two bottles of propane in 8 days while up camping and my last fiver used two bottles of propane every three days, and it was more spendy than this model. And it was colder this year.
My opinion is that the first time RVer should not be led to think that the more money they spend the less the problems will be. The first time RVer should instead be guided to understand that every RV owner has the responsibility to inspect there unit whenever possible and fix what needs to be fixed, or find an experienced person that can tell them how or will fix it.
My experience (of course I am in an entry level RV) the first thing any RVer wants to tell you is how much they spent on there RV, or they have read somewhere that the RV they are in is the best, or worse of all they have read posts that give them all the information they need to be an expert in a very short time. I feel I am the first line of defense in keeping my unit in great shape. Second is my dealer. If my dealer is not standing behind and serviceing what he sells then it does not matter what he sells you are going to have problems.
So before I go here is a bit of advice to all you first time RV buyers, (but keep in mind this is from a guy that has only been camping since the early 60's and I am currently in an entry level RV, and probably don't know a thing about what I am talking about.) Anyone that has a million posts here does not make them an expert, the guy that has made one or two posts is probably spending more time in his unit, or is out inspecting his unit, or like me just got back and now I will go out and winterize my unit. If you don't want issues with anything you buy, don't buy anything. If you know nothing about RV's then start small, if you don't feel you can pull or park a 20 footer don't buy a 36 footer so you can brag to the guy next to you in a 25 footer. If you are going to go from campground to campground save your money and try motels. If you are going to be in the mountains don't buy light colored carpet. And last but not least if you have more money than you know what to do with and feel that you need the biggest, fanciest, most expensive unit you can buy then remember you will need to pick the biggest, fanciest, most expensive places to park it so you can spend your day comparing it to the guy next door to justify your purchase. Try not to park next to a guy like me with an entry level RV as I will be out enjoying the mountains and I won't have time to listen to your bragging on how much you spent for it.
Hope all of you that are done RVing for the year had a great time. Hope all of you that are snowbirding and still RVing are haveing a good time. And to all of you I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. And to all of you wondering if your RV is a good one or not, come to Idaho and follow me around for the summer. If you have only a minimal amount of problems by the end of the year you bought a good one. Happy Camping.

DL Rupper

Hot damn, now I've posted too many times in my 13 years of full-timing and camping since the early 60's. Seems I haven't been out and about enough or I've taken my computer with me and haven't really been RVing. Gee, guess I'll just have to throw the computer away since I'm living in my RV full-time.
Oh, well as I said on my last post, it isn't about wheather you buy a high end or entry level RV, it's about the manufacturers quality control program. I guess some people read what they want in a post or don't comprehend what they read. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

minerz

I realize that DL just trying to throw a differant curve at it for those first timers that don't quite understand that RVing is not for everyone. But for those of us that owning, maintaining, and getting sometimes where others aren't there is nothing like it. And also for those that haven't shoveled three feet of snow off the ground so you can pitch a tent and then live in it for a month, about any kind of an RV is like moving from Motel 6 to the Hilton. I guess I get tired ( and don't get me wrong it is not every case, but there are a lot of folks that expect an RV to be just like living at home so they don't conserve water, can't figure why the toilet is getting full so fast, and the propane or gasoline in the generator doesn't stay on the full mark. Guess I am one of the lucky ones that every problem I have had, has not put a damper in the ability to get out where I want to go and just enjoy. Have a good one.

TexasClodhopper

Certainly no one is questioning anyone's experiences. It is just too easy to read some meaning into words that the writer didn't mean to be there.

Why don't we just let this Forest River thread sit here for those that are researching and/or buying an RV?

There's plenty of info for anyone that wants to read it without bumping it to the top. All they have to do is run a search, and they'll find it.

Kirk

minerz

Your choice of language isn't appreciated, even though you do seem to "know it all."

Like it or not, Forest River has poor ratings by many rating organizations and not nearly the reputation that many other manufacturers have. If you don't like people making new RV buyers aware of that, you are going to have problems. This thread began with a series of posts by people who have owned Forest River products and have not been satisfied with them. If you feel the need to tell your positive story, by all means feel free. Just don't make personal attacks on the folks who frequent this group because they have a different opinion than yours.

minerz

I was not trying to "know it all" but merely pointing out that in my opinion the owner is the first line of defense. I am sincerely sorry if I have offended anyone. That was not my intention. As this is a thread to bad mouth FR and I at this time can not do that then I am in the wrong forum. Happy camping to all and to all a goodnight.

DL Rupper

Ho, Ho, Ho. Whoops not suppose to say that even if it's the season to be Jolly. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Time to move on and get in the Christmas mood. I tend to type to fast sometimes and my posts get a little edgy. Remember this thread is an actual history of problems by some FR owners and opinions expressed by some forum members about FR. ;)

C Nash

Guess I am one of those that has made too many post and this will be my last post on this subject. Well shouldn't make that comment as I belive in freedom to express your opinion. Sorry if I stepped on somes toes by calling their units entry level. I have also had most ever kind of rv and started in a tent. All served their purpose at the time. I agree that no unit no matter the price is no better than the care that it has been given. I agree that if you are buying a unit for the first time you shoule read all the post possible on any make that you are buting and then make up your own mind. Different year models might make a difference. Quality control is a problem in all units IMO. Just aprice we pay for mass production and yes I think quality control needs improvement.. Age has something to do we how we camp. I have a HR Vacationer MH which I consider a entry level MH. Nothing wrong with entry level. It's all I can afford, well can't even afford that, but I will own some kind Of rv as long as we can go. Some of us take along computers with us as some will take their guns to hunt with. I personally care nothing for hunting with a gun. Rather shoot the animal with a camera. No, I have no problem at all with hunting as I have done that in the past. We on here have had great communcation with computers and disagree with each others OPINIONS. What we all should remember it is just eachs personel opinions and not etched in stone.

DL Rupper

Actually I started camping without a tent or most the time without a sleeping bag courtesy of IMO the best camp masters in the world (USMC). However, I don't use that experience in any way to temper my posts on the RV FORUM. Because this forum is about RVing and not roughing it in the great outdoors. :laugh: :bleh: :eek:

For clarity on the subject of using 2 or 3 warranty problems as a gage of what a quality manufactured entry or high level RV should not exceed in order to be considered a high quality product, I only meant on initial delivery and during the first year of a warranty. As any RV or vehicle gets older it will experience many more problems that will need to be addressed by the owner and not blamed on the manufacturer. :(

benwd

"Your choice of language isn't appreciated, even though you do seem to "know it all."

kirk----you_saying someone else is a 'know it all'????????

minerz--Your post was right on--although 'black tank' would have been more appropriate in an rv forum.

SnowbirdInFlight

benwd - 11/23/2007 2:21 PM "Your choice of language isn't appreciated, even though you do seem to "know it all." kirk----you_saying someone else is a 'know it all'???????? minerz--Your post was right on--although 'black tank' would have been more appropriate in an rv forum.

thf52cb88e.gif
thchatting2.gif

Grandview Trailer Sa

C Nash, twice you have called FR products "entry level". Well, they do make a lot of entry level trailers. Salem, Sierra, Cherokee and more, but they would not want Cardinal or Cedar Creek called that. The problem is, they have problems also. I know one couple who left what I sell for Cedar Creek. They are VERY sorry. Last summer it stayed at the dealer more than they were able to use it.

I am not trying to knock FR here, no one is perfect, and if a buyer thinks he will buy a perfect RV, he needs to thinks again. The real difference in manufactures is how they handle their problems. As everyone here knows, I have sold Gulf Stream products for about 7 years now. They are not perfect, but boy do they back up their product. I sold a 2003 Innsbruck and the slideouts have leaked some. (There is also the fact the owner did NO maintenance.) The trailer was returned to Gulf Stream a few weeks ago, by us, and it will be returned to me on Monday. The trailer is way out of warranty, but Gulf Stream installed two NEW slideouts, installed new carpet, fixed a weak area in the floor and paid freight both ways at NO CHARGE to the customer. Now that is customer support. (edit:there were no lawyers, lawsuits, etc.to make them do this, just customer goodwill)

On the other side of the coin, there are MANY Gulf Stream trailers out there that I have not seen again after selling them. We have many returning customers who would not buy anything else.

One of the last Keystone trailers I sold had an $11.00 capacitor in the AC go bad at 13 months. Keystone has a 12 month warranty. They would not do a d--n thing even though Coleman has a 2 year warranty. I had to go to Coleman direct to get an $11.00 part sent to me for free.

I have sold SunnyBrook a year now. Honestly they seem to be just as good as Gulf Stream about backing their product. Time will tell if I say that 6 years from now, but I am headed to the RV Convention in Kentucky next week, and I am planning to sign up to sell the Bristol Bay for SunnyBrook also.

G

My only reply to this ,, I have an entry level MH 40ft Tiffin ,, and yes i am a know it all :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
sorry had to do that :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:
I can't consent on any TT due to the fact that i have never had one ,, had converted vans and then a pickup and camper and all the rest were class a ,,, but even with them ,, they be probs ,,,, if everyone really looked at their new stick home ,,, yes u'r gonna find probs ,,, it's built by a human ,, yes a living being ,, and i don't care who u are ,, u'r gonna make a mistake ,, and then there are some that don't give a flip ,, their only in it for the paycheck ,, and those are the ones that ruin the hole rv industrie for all of us ,, and bty the factory should have a better quality control but they don't ,, corporate wants the big money ,, so push out as many as u can as fast as u can ,, just get the money form the sale , and we'll worry about issues later ,, have seen it more than once and then some :approve: :approve: :approve: :)
but from the sounds of it we should put this to rest agian ,, untill the next time ,, then we'll fire up the cannon again on this subject ,, now who want's ice cream :question: :question: ;) :laugh: :laugh:

SnowbirdInFlight

So, not only do I have an entry level Travel Trailer, I have the dreaded FR TT. My Sierra FR TT has been great since 2000. We never had to have one thing fixed on it after delivery. Guess we are the lucky ones. Darn, I should have bought a lottery ticket on the same day we purchased are FR! We might be able to afford one of them there fancy motor homes or fifth wheels. Shucks! We sure did miss the boat!

thf52cb88e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.