Found An RV...Need Opinions Please....

gregolson65

All,
Since I am new to RV'ing, I narrowed my search to a Class A Diesel Pusher all self contained for adequete dry camping fora few days. I found a good deal on a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star Model 3865. Now the blue book is listing retail around 60K.....This owner is selling it for 29K....Am I missing something. It is not local sobefore I drive up to commit, I need some advice on anyone experienceing this model and what other questions to ask owner before I take delivery. He did tell me no maintenance issues and the last inspection was done December 2009. Here is a list of the options.

It is a 2000 Newmar DUTCH STAR 3865.
66,390 miles
39'
1 Slide out, sleeps 4, 2 air conds, 4 awnings, leveling jacks.
Freightliner chassis
300 HP Cat diesel engine
Allison transmission
Air ride suspension
Air brake
Air Horn
On board air compressor
Solar panel battery charger
Rear back up camera & monitor
Hydraulic leveling system
Washer & Dryer combo unit
Power steps
Corian counters
Etched glass & mirrors all through out
Floor lighting
All flourescent ceiling lighting
Oak cabinets
Wood floors
All leather seating
All chairs swivel
Full turning recliner
Passenger seat reclines
Driver & Passenger solar shades
Convection microwave oven
3 burner gas cook top
Dinette seats 2 or 4 with the hide away table leaf
2 AC units
7000 KW diesel generator
Huge shower w/ skylight
Queen size bed in the bedroom
Plenty of storage inside & out
Pass through storage underneath
3 window awnings
Patio awning
New slide awning
Wheel covers
Front end leather protector
Exterior window screens

LEN

Re: Found An RV...Need Opinions Please....

Sounds too good but if it checks out go for it. Have a pro check it out, cheap $200 to $400. Think about $3000 to $6000 in repairs IE; Tires batteries and a complete fluid change on everything if needed.

LEN

Kirk

The items listed are pretty standard for a Dutchstar, but the price is a little low. The NADA website lists retail as $51,980 to $62,620. With a price that far below the listing, I would want to know why. As great a deal as it could be, make sure that a competent RV tech and diesel mechanic both go over it very carefully. Have you seen any pictures? I would start by asking for a bunch of them.

rjf7g

Do you know if he lived in it as a fulltimer or used it for camping trips? This makes a difference in terms of wear and tear.

gregolson65

Thanks guys for tyhe input. I will post pics and take all recommendations. The price does seem too low. I seen pictures inside and out, and the thing is a beuty. Very clean, wood floors throughout, and nice leather interior.......I did not see a flaw in the pictures as of yet....I am still wwaiting for a final response from the owner. I just hope it isn't a scammer out there.....

LEN

If you think it is a scammer he/she will ask for too much down or full down site unseen or some strange $$$$ deal. If it is paid off he/she will have the clear title or what ever the resident state requires. If money is owed go to the lending company with the owner to do the transaction.

LEN

gregolson65

outdoors4ever - 4/22/2010 11:30 PM

this sounds way to fishy!!!! buyer beware comes to mind!! BEWARE!!

Found out it was a scam. I tried many messages to come up and demo the RV.....NO RESPONSE...........

try2findus

Greg, thanks for updating your post to let us all know the outcome. Glad you didn't fall prey to the scam!

Give yourself a pat on the back and start looking again knowing you are smarter than a MH scammer!

H2H1

Greg , we are all glad that you did not get taken to the cleaners on this one. I can say that you got some very good advice from some of the best people I know. Don't give up keep looking and you will find what you need and want. AND SEE YOU ARE SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: