fridge

spearson99

I am new and one item that is confusing me is the requirement to level the fridge. I can understand why but what I do not is this: It seems that several folks have advised me before leaving for the weekend to plug the unit into shore power and use electric to cool the fridge down and then run on propane to the destination, set up and replug to shore power. This all makes sense BUT if I am travelling for a good day or two on propane, the unit is certainly not level. Is this a problem?
:question:

brodavid

Re: fridge

we cooled down 24 vhours before departing on AC, then stored cold stuff in frig, did not use propane on trip as to leaving it on, your choice. Had no problems with thawout as we did not open frig much during travel, also did not have to cut off flames while refueling.

your unit should be no problem while traveling and Ken said

Grandview Trailer Sa

The liquid in the cooling unit has to circulate. The heat from the flame of elec. element causes this. The way the cooling unit is built, it must be within certain degrees of level...on newer units about 5 degrees. While you are moving down the road, the fluid will move from movement also. The degree is not that critical.

spearson99

Thanks everyone. Kenneth, you seem to be very technical in nature...i have a new problem. When i plugged the fridge in it started to "click" outside. I took the cover off and it seems to be coming from the black box??? I have the switch on auto so it should be pulling shore power. I did a check and pulled the power off the unit and sure enough it lite up on gas. I plugged it back in and it continues to "click" , about once a second. My guess is that something is "stuck" as the unit almost sounds like it is trying to go to gas but some safety, or something, is stopping it as it is plugged in???

Any ideas?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, the "clicking" is the igniter trying to light the gas flame. Sounds like to me the board is not recognizing the 120 volts to go on elec.

I know you say you have plugged in the MH, but are you sure you have 120 volts at the refer? It is plugged in, in the rear of the unit. You should be able to remove the outside vent and see it. Either test with a meter or plug something else in and see if it works.

I think you may have a board problem, if you have voltage at the refer.

spearson99

I think you might be right. I did remove the cover and unplug the unit directly, it then shut down and swithched to gas, so that part seems to be working.
I was wondering if there was somthing i could do so that the unit would not "click" steady while i am out this weekend. (maybe disconnect the igniter?
Do you think it will do any harm to let it click?

(at the end of the day, i really could get by without the "auto" function whereby the unit goes to gas when there is no power...i can easily control that)

tks

Grandview Trailer Sa

Why dont you just let it run on gas. They really don't use that much...

I would not want it to spark all the time either, get it to a service center and get it looked at.