From London, England and never RV'd before...

jemstersj

Hello,

My boyfriend and I have hired an RV to go RV'ing in US, Zion National Park (2 nights or so) and Bryce park (1/2 nights) over our Easter holidays.

We have never done this before, and although very excited about it, we want to get it right too! Any essential advice for first timers? Also, the 2 camps in Zion say no RV hook ups - does this mean no electricity/water supplies? Thats what I'm assuming. Please let me know if there are good camps for RVs either in Bryce or Zion...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jem

akjimny

Re: From London, England and never RV'd before...

Hi Jem and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I have never camped in Utah, so I can't answer any specific questions about those campgrounds.

On a general info note, if a campground says no hook ups, that means no electricity, no water, no sewer, no cable TV, no wi-fi. You do what is called "dry camping," using the RV's resources - water, electricity (either battery or generator) and toilet facilities. Most RV's, especially for two people, should be good for a week of dry camping, if you are careful with your resources.

Since you are renting the RV, the rental agency should provide everything you need except for food and clothing. They should also give you a good, thorough briefing on how everything works before you leave the lot.

I hope you enjoy your holiday, as you Brits call it, and hopefully some of our forum members with more experience out West can give you more info. :) :) :)

try2findus

Welcome Jem. We found Zion Canyon Campground to be really nice. There is a shuttle to transport visitors around Zion and we found it to be better than driving around ourselves. The shuttle is the only way to get aound if I remember correctly. However, there are plenty of places within walking distance to eat around the campground.

http://www.zioncamp.com/rv_park.html

Per the campground website, "This spacious piece of paradise has been owned and operated by the Ferber family since 1973 when the adjoining Zion Canyon Campground and RV resort was founded by David Ferber. Our staff has explored the canyons and surrounding areas and can be quite helpful about where to go, what to wear and who to see for the outdoor adventure of a lifetime. After a long day come back to your÷site and freshen up for dinner with a choice of more than a dozen local eateries from casual to upscale all within a shuttle from our campground. After dinner sit outside and watch the sunset under The Watchman, a truly breathtaking sight."

Hope you have fun! :)

LEN

Bring cold weather gear. Make sure your RV dealer goes over the cold weather options, as Bryce is at 10,000 feet and can have snow at anytime. Night most likely will be freezing. Have fun and stay warm.

LEN