From UK - RVing around for 3-4 Months

PeteyH

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are planning to come out and RV around the US next year. We're completely new to this and to research from scratch!

We want to tour for between 3-4 months (depending on how much it's gonna cost) and don't know whether to buy and resell an RV or just rent.

We only need something like a class B camper (like the dodge ram 3500, or I saw a 1998 Roadtrek 190-Versatile that would be ideal).

I was hoping someone could point us in the right direction! How much would a campground charge for dry camping or with the elecrtricity/water/sewage etc for a night? We won't stay anywhere too long so it'll be a couple nights at most at each campground.

Is it worth buying an rv and then selling to a dealer after 3-4 months? Can i even buy one as I don't live in the US? or get insurance?

As mentioned i'm completely new to this so any help (no matter how obvious it might seem to you) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete

try2findus

Re: From UK - RVing around for 3-4 Months

Hello Pete and welcome to RVUSA! You and your girlfriend are in for quite a trip! Personally, I would think renting an RV for 3-4 months would be very costly. We rented a class C 10 years ago for 2 weeks and it cost a couple of thousand dollars...and that did not include gas, propane or campgrounds.

Although the RV industry has taken a hit (gas prices), if you bought a used RV, you might be able to sell it and come out ahead. Whatever route you decide to go, you will have a blast! What part of the USA are you planning to visit? Where are you from?

Please post back and let us know what you decided to do and also, WELCOME to the USA!!! :cool:

keithb

RE: From UK - RVing around for 3-4 Months

Pete
To rent a RV for 3-4 months would be cost prohibitive.

1. Is it worth buying an rv and then selling to a dealer after 3-4 months? Maybe. There are so many RV's for sale right now and with gas prices over $4.00 in Ca. it would very expensive to fuel it, and sell it.

2. How much would a campground charge for dry camping or with the elecrtricity/water/sewage etc for a night? dry camping could be $20-$40/night depending on where you are. wet camping $30-$60/night

3. Can i even buy one as I don't live in the US? Yes.
4. Get insurance? Yes.

Having no idea what your budget is, or when you are traveling in the U.S., have you thought about buying a tent, camping gear, and renting a SUV? No camper to sell, better gas mileage, lower campground fees, stay in motels on occasion, and more flexibility.

I am traveling to Europe in August/Sept. 2011 for 3 months and I will be staying in hostels and with people I meet along the way.

Good luck and travel safe. :cool: