Front Air Bags and Tire Pressure

Pitchy1

What`s the proper air pressure for the front air bags on my 85 Winny Chieftian 31 footer, they have 70 lbs in them now. Also the tires are at 110 lbs and is what it states on the tire but the ride seems a little rough, any suggestions or advice ?
Thanks.

C Nash

Re: Front Air Bags and Tire Pressure

Lenn, the frist thing you need to do is weigh the rv when loaded for a trip to determin the proper tire pressure. Sounds as though you may have to much air in the tires IMO. What is the cold recommended pressure on the tire sidewall for max weight?

C Nash

Well just re read your post and see you said the tire had 110 on them. What kind of tires do you have? Mine is a 33 foot and the tires are rated for 85 cold.

H2H1

Nash and Lynn I have oops had 100lbs in mine , the MH states 85 lbs cold. so I lower them to 85. the Guy who put them on did not listen to his boss who told him 85, but the tire are rated for 100 so he put in 100.

Pitchy1

Ok thanks, here`s what i found out.
Tire say Trail Busters
Size--8R19.5 load range F
Tire says Max load dual- 5375 lb at 110 psi.

Door tag reads,
5,000 lb front axle---75 psi
9,840 rear---65 psi

All tires are at 110 now, sounds like I need to lower the pressure huh ?

Pitchy1

Thanks, by the chart it looks like at 5,000 lb front axle they shoud be at 95 psi unless i`m ready it wrong.
So why does the door panel say 75 lbs for front ?
I`m confused. :blush:

LEN

Each tire and manufacturer has different load/per pressure ratings. Unless they are the original tires the tag could be way off.

LEN

Pitchy1

Pitchy1 - 9/3/2009 8:47 AM

Ok thanks, here`s what i found out.
Tire say Trail Busters
Size--8R19.5 load range F
Tire says Max load dual- 5375 lb at 110 psi.

Door tag reads,
5,000 lb front axle---75 psi
9,840 rear---65 psi

All tires are at 110 now, sounds like I need to lower the pressure huh ?

Correction, tire says 3375 not 5375 :blush:
So the door tag says front axle weight 5,000 so does that mean 2,500 per tire.
So 110 would be a little high then ?
Lots of so`s huh. :laugh:

Pitchy1

So this thread isn`t left unresolved i`ll post what my final results are. My door card says the front axel weighs 5,000 lbs so I take it that one tire has 2,500 lbs on it. If that`s the case then by the chart it says 75 lbs is correct which is also what the door card says. The tires are the same size that`s on the door tag also. I have no way to weigh the axles at this time so i`m going to put 95 lbs in them to be on the safe side until I can talk to a tire or rv dealer.
If anyone finds error in this reply please speak up.
:)

C Nash

Doesn't mean there is 2500 on each. The only way to tell for sure is by weighing the rv when loaded. Air should be the same on front tires just aired to the heavest wheel weight. IMO Same with rear. The 5000 is the max weight if I'm reading your post right. 2500 or under equal weight on each wheel would be great but it can vary from side to side. JMO

Pitchy1

Understood but as i said no where to weigh close by. 95 lbs should be in the safe range i`d think and 110 was over kill because I doubt each wheel has 3375 on it.

C Nash

Think 95 would be plenty. I have never put more than 85 in mine cold and think I could go around 80 because I have weigh mine and 80 would cover. Ride would be better at 80 but think its better to have a little too much air as long as not over rated max than under inflated. IMO